2 month mark yesterday...no weight loss

Tammy B.
on 9/18/13 11:52 pm - Canada

The first month after my sleeve I lost 23 lbs yahoo...and a total of 2 sizes since opti (i didnt have a reliable weight total before opti because of delays due to using insulin to lower my blood sugar levels) I hit the 2 month mark yesterday and I dont feel any significant weight loss for the month.  I did talk to the dietician and asked him for goals and a total calorie total.  He told me I was probably doing fine...you may not lose as much with the sleeve..blah blah blah....Im like give me some goals and I will make them happen.  Im walking 30 min per day but due to a car accident, walking can be painful and if I walk too much (ie took my 2 year old niece to the fair for 3 hours and had pain walking for next 2 days) I have to restrict the amount for the next day...i have signed up for a gym membership so I can do a full body workout but the corporate membership I signed up for doesnt start until October 1.  Im also using fitness pal to record what Im eating every day....find this deceptive as you cant put the small amount of food in that you are actually eating.  Even with those bumps Im hitting 800 and its yelling at me that my body is in starvation mode and will not lose weight.

Im looking for advise on successful goals that you used in the early months to hit some goals...Thanks

Jackie T.
on 9/19/13 12:04 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Okay I am a little confused.  Myfitnesspal is not deceptive.  If it says that the serving size is 1 cup, and you eat 1/4 of it then you put .25, or .5 for 1/2, .75 for 3/4.  You are then only recording what you are eating.  If it is 4 oz serving and you are eating half then you put .5.  Myfitnesspal is a wonderful tool.

You have indicated that you are getting 800 calories in per day, how are you doing that?  Are you getting at least 60-80 grams of protein in per day?  Are you drinking all of your fluids?  If you are not then that could be a big reason why you are not losing any weight right now.  Everyone is different but I was not able to get 800 calories in at the 2 month mark, I was struggling between 400-600.  Are you drinking your calories?  Are you eating a lot of high carb foods?  If all of your calories are coming from carbs, your body may be more sensitive to them and it can effect your weight loss.  You have to find the right combination of calories, protein and carbs.  While there are many differing opinions on that, I don't think anyone would disagree that you need at least 60-80 grams of protein per day and no less than 64 oz of water.  Getting more in both cases would be better.

Now having said all of that, your body may be trying to catch up with all of the changes.  Hang in there, the scale will start moving.  Have you taken your body measurements?  That is another way to measure your success.  You could be losing fat by gaining muscle from your walking and while the scale may not show it, your measurements should.  When you start your full body work out you might see the scale stop again also because you are building muscle.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Tracy D.
on 9/19/13 1:49 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I agree with the poster above about My Fitness Pal - play around with it and you'll see that you have options on amounts.  Frequently there will be options for changing the service size to ounces and there is always the option of changing the service itself to a fraction of what it's listing. 

Set a goal to get 600-800 calories a day, 80 grams of protein, 40 or fewer grams of carb, and work toward at least 80 oz. of water (100 oz. when you get further out).  I promise - the weight will come off.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Bufflehead
on 9/19/13 2:02 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

You said you don't "feel" any significant weight loss for the second month -- does that mean you haven't weighed yourself and are just assuming? Also, what do you consider "significant"? 23 lbs in the first month is great. It is completely normal to have your weight loss slow down a bit in the second month. I was thrilled with losing 20 lbs in the first month and 10 lbs in the second month.

Tammy B.
on 9/19/13 2:52 am - Canada

Thanks everyone...I will play more with fitness pal because I kept leaving myself notes that the amounts were half what I could find listed..didnt realize I could adjust them.

The scale I bought doesnt move so its defective or I am (lol) but I am in the same size I was in 4 weeks ago with no significant movement. 

Keep working with some of the suggestions and see if anything happens...I still dont know what calories people are supposed to eat every day....I do try to get the protein up there (like my hair and nails alot) and im not eating any carbs more than 1/2 a tsp.

DanielleP
on 9/19/13 3:45 am - Philadelphia, PA
VSG on 04/29/13

My surgery program doesn't have people tracking calories at 2 months out, but following these rules: 60-80 grams of protein, 64 ozs water, 3 meals a day. Are you hitting these basic markers?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views