Protein shakes & water R nauseating.Prob getting too much dairy / calories. Am I way...

vixkix69
on 9/4/13 10:38 am, edited 9/4/13 11:15 am

Instead of the shakes made with milk, I'm just drinking the milk. I'm not getting much water in, maybe 16oz to 24oz? Ocasionally some egg with cheese or a bit of pureed chicken... Frozen Greek yogart for snacks ( maybe two a day ). So, I'm thinking my calories may be adding up a bit and that I am probably not meeting either my liquid or protein needs. I am about 3 weeks and 4 days out and have pretty much been stalled for a week.

My calories are looking like around 600 ( mostly from skim milk) , protein at 35-50, water at 16oz to 24oz, milk at around 32oz.... My calories should be down, protein and water up, any advice besides a butt kicking??  Also, I havent been walking yet as I feel very weak and lucky to get around walmart for a bit of shopping. 

On a good note, starting a Gym for treadmill in a week or so then when Doc releasse me, going to do a bit more strenuous exercises.

lucy2e
on 9/4/13 11:13 am - Laurel, MD

I totally get not tolerating protein shakes - I really had trouble with them too!.  You have to get in the protein though - 60 oz a day.  For me I was able to do low fat cheese sticks - they have about 7 g of protein each (depending on the brand), so eating several a day would put my protein up - then some milk or greek yogurt would supplement.  You can also add some skim powdered milk to your milk (weird idea) it will up the protein for you - making it kind of like a protein shake!  

Now for the butt kicking.  You must get your liquids up to at least 64 oz a day.  It can be SF popsicles, jello, water, crystal lite, what ever - but you have to do it.  You have hit your 3 week stall - it will break - but you need to drink your fluids!!!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

A. Kondrlik
on 9/4/13 11:16 am
VSG on 01/24/13

Your first job is getting your fluids up to 64 ounces or more then start working on your protein.  I think it is fine for now to be drinking skim milk for some of your fluids. 

There are 8 gms of protein in 8 ounces of skim milk.  Greek yogurt is also a great source of protein.I wouldn't eat "frozen yogurt" right now, if you mean the dessert type  But I think you mean you are actually freezing the yogurt yourself.  I wouldn't even count calories at this point, just concentrate on getting your fluids in, then worry about the protein.

The first few weeks can be hard, our poor tummys are in an uproar from the surgery. Things will improve, I promise 

Syntrax nectar protein drinks have over 20 grams of protein in a serving, many flavors can be mixed in water or crystal light.  Amazon carries sample packs which are not too expensive.some use isopure, which are I believe  is also a clear protein drink, though I don't know where those can be purchased.

Try changing the temperature of the water  you are drinking, sometimes that helps it be more tolerable.  Eat sugarfree jello, sugarfree popsicles---those went down pretty easily for me.

No butt kicking from me.  sounds like you just need to tweak things a bit.  This is hard!!!

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Princess_and4Princes
on 9/4/13 12:13 pm
VSG on 03/07/13

I had the same thing.  It DOES get better with time.  The only way I could drink water at first was with lemon in it (experiment ith different temperatures of water, as well), or with crystal light liquid drops in it (so it wasn't as strong) or I cut the ratio of crystallight to water waaay back. Also, chicken broth was OK. And for protein it was Greek yogurt for a long time. And lots of it.

--Jen

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 277 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views