2 weeks + out.. How to calculate appropriate pureed food amounts

vixkix69
on 8/28/13 11:07 am, edited 8/28/13 11:08 am

I am on pureed but I am sure this will apply to the other food  phases, too.

I am basically eating regular food ( meat ) a couple times a day. I just kind of look at it and say, " well, this looks about right". So, sometimes, I feel like I've eaten too much or maybe not enough? I wonder if I need an inexpensive food scale to guide me as I learn what 2-4 ozs look like?

I am barely eating, but I feel like I am overeating. I am trying to get the water down, but its difficult. I do not like protein shakes, but I am choking ,at least, one down a day. I am trying to eat meat / protein twice a day. Just not sure about the amount..... Dont want to overeat.

My new stomach has definately told me a couple of times, " this wont work, or this is enough", so thank goodness for that! Lol

loverofcats
on 8/28/13 11:22 am, edited 8/28/13 12:09 pm

Measuring utensils, cups, and a scale are mandatory tools to use. They really do help. If you don't measure, how do you know how much you are eating? Measuring helps with tracking your food accurately.

I am three years out and still weigh and measure my food. Keeps me on track and helps me to maintain my weight loss .

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

VSG on 06/12/13
Agree. Kitchen scale and measuring bowls are the order of the day.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

debk21
on 8/28/13 11:53 am - Mansfield, TX

Agreed!  I still use my little food scale regularly and measuring cups are a must.  I would definitely invest in an inexpensive scale.  It also helps when trying to keep track of what you're eating for calorie and protein purposes....off to Target with you....

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

Wildcat-NYC
on 8/28/13 12:02 pm
VSG on 08/16/12

You need a food scale and lots of measuring cups/spoons...even at more than a year out I still measure 90% of my meals!

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
themexcellentone
on 8/28/13 12:46 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

You definitely need a food scale!  Like the poster below me said, it's a mandatory tool.

Measuring cups and spoons are also critically important. 

Undereating your sleeve (especially now since it is so new) is better than overeating it.  That is one piece of advice that I have carried with me since I began on foods 4 weeks ago. 

I measure nearly everything I eat (when I go out, I eyeball and underestimate).  I portion everything out into small containers and grab them to pack them for my lunches/snacks each day. 

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

charmedaz
on 8/28/13 11:56 pm

i got the digital kitchen scale...grams/oz...it was the biggest loser brand on clearance for 15.00 at bed bath and beyond :) 

i weigh and portioned my shredded roast i crock potted all day sunday i was amazed at how much 3 oz was....i thought i was eating "about" 3 oz of shredded chicken the week before i bought the scale and i was no where near that, i could have had so much more! (in theory lol..not reality...it takes me 45 mins to eat my 3oz tender shredded beef at lunch,  i cant even fit anything else in with it if i wanted to) 

also i kind of think grams/oz are standard...grams are important though if you want to add something like almonds..i got some at sprouts in bulk due to keiths advice about women needing omegas ...the nutrition info was in grams (ex: 33 grams = a serving at xx nutrition facts) im really happy with my cheapy little scale...it will go up to 6lbs i do believe as well but i dont think we will hardly weigh our food in lbs much

Dr. Joya:    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/officialdrjoya

Twitter: https://twitter.com/drjoyadotcom

tysmom01
on 8/29/13 1:19 am - MS
VSG on 08/12/13

I would definitely get a food scale. I can't figure out how much I'm eating without it. I bought a very basic food scale and it did not cost much at all. It has helped me tremendously. To get my water down, I made out a sort of schedule to keep so I know I'm getting it in, and I'm getting in at least 80oz/day. Maybe that will help. 

Age: 34 ~ Height: 5'5 ~ HW: 287 (7/28/2013) ~ SW: 272 ~ GW: 150 ~ Goal weight met 8/9/2014  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 277 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views