New job and Tennis team advancing to Regionals

Ihearttennis
on 8/27/13 7:46 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I have a lot of exciting things happening in my life right now.  First off, after several months of interviewing I got the job I wanted.  I am transitioning from teaching to sales. For me, this means more money and flexibility. I am 57 lbs down and I am feeling much more confident about my appearance.  I start in two weeks, so with the kids back in school I can spend this time working on me and getting organized. Secondly, my tennis team is advancing to Regionals the last weekend in September. I bought  some new tennis outfits because its hard to keep pulling my skirt up after each time I hit the ball:) I definitely look better on the courts but surprisingly I'm not feeling like I am playing that much better. Do you think maybe because I am keeping my calories under 600 I am not having as much endurance? I have a ton of energy for the first set but by the end of the second I'm winded. I've been back playing since two weeks after surgery so it's not like I haven't had enough time to adjust.  I think I need some good ideas of what to eat right before a match. Usually I drink a protein shake when I wake up, then before a match I might eat half a banana. During the match I drink a lot of water with protein (fuzzy navel 23 grams ) and if I really need a boost I'll eat a few almonds.  Any suggestions are appreciated. Also, a NSV is when my captain sent out an email asking for everyone's shirt size this is the first time I was able to put down L instead of 2XL.  

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

jenn227
on 8/27/13 9:31 am - NJ
VSG on 03/26/13

Wow, congratulations...so many amazing things going on in your life!  There are serious atheletes here that I am sure can help with your questions...I know you probably do need more energy if you are playing a sport as strenuous as tennis...that is so awesome!

Jenn   Highest weight: 278. Starting weight: 275. Surgery weight: 253. Month 1: 25 lbs. Month 2: 8.8 lbs. Month 3: 12.6 lbs. Month 4: 7 lbs. Onederland 7/29/2013. Month 5: 7 lbs. Month 6: 5 lbs. Months 7-9: self-induced maintenance, then 5 lb gain.

Ihearttennis
on 8/27/13 11:54 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

Thanks, Jenn.  I know my life is about to be turned upside down but I'm really looking forward to the challenge. 

Linda B.
on 8/27/13 3:27 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

Congratulations on the tennis. Personally, I'm an ice skater, DH is a runner. We both have a VSG so we have both had to navigate what helps us out with the intense activity. We both have protein coffee every morning. If he is going to run, he'll either eat a WLS friendly protein bar, or a piece of low carb bread, toasted with natural peanut butter. Of course he has been at goal for a year. Before I train, I will either eat a WLS friendly protein bar, or a cheese stick with a slice of deli ham or turkey. We both have been known to drink power ade zero as well. I hope that helps.

Oh, it is interesting that you are leaving teaching for something else, I have been looking for a teaching job for a couple of years. There just isn't much available within a reasonable distance.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

Ihearttennis
on 8/28/13 11:12 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

Thanks for responding.  I do think I am going to try the turkey and cheese stick before a match and see if that helps with my endurance. I enjoyed following your ice skating posts and loved seeing you in your outfits. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 287 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 338 views