Pre Op diet question!!!

NIcolexxo
on 8/23/13 10:45 pm
VSG on 09/27/13

So I start my pre-op today, its a long one... till my surgery on September 12th! I know I can do it and that every bit will be worth it! I'm having 2-3 protein shakes a day, one for breakfast, then a piece of fruit in between  breakfast and lunch, salad with a protein for lunch, then another piece of fruit in between lunch and dinner, then for dinner another protein shake. I was told that if after dinner I'm still hungry I can have another shake... I've read so many posts about Pre-Op diets but I haven't read one that was almost 3 weeks long!

Has anyone been on a similar pre-op diet? If so how much weight did you lose on it? 

I'm beyond excited for the day I can join you all on the loser's bench!!!! Hold my seat!!!

Deckeriv
on 8/24/13 12:09 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

MIne lasted six weeks because my surgery was delayed waiting on some cardiac results. Once I had gone the two weeks, I saw no reason to quit and continued on my three or four shakes a day. Nothing else. After a few days, I stopped being hungry so it didn't really matter. I dropped 41 pounds before surgery and the surgeon was tickled.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

NIcolexxo
on 8/24/13 12:34 am
VSG on 09/27/13
Thats awesome! I bet he was ecstatic!
cappy11448
on 8/24/13 12:44 am

Mine was shakes only and lasted 2 weeks. My NP talked about making it longer as I needed to lose weight before surgery, but I lost it on my own, so just needed the 2 weeks.

Best of luck on your weight loss journey.  It will all be worth it once you start losing the weight. 

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

NIcolexxo
on 8/24/13 12:49 am
VSG on 09/27/13
Thank you! I have a little bit more to go before I reach my previous surgery goal, I'm hoping this pre-op diet helps!
Debra M.
on 8/24/13 2:00 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13
As you have probably already read on this site, each person is different. Which means that the pre-op diets are individualized to each persons own requirements. When we gain weight our livers become fatty and become brittle, which is not good as the liver needs to be moved during VSG surgery. The liver will lose the fat and brittleness during our pre-op diets, pretty quickly, making the VSG surgery much safer for us.

busboss1
on 8/24/13 4:00 am
VSG on 12/18/12

Mine was supposed to be 2 weeks but I did it for 3 weeks and lost 11 pounds pre-surgery. They like you to lose so your liver shrinks and I wanted my surgeon to have a good view of what he was doing! Ha. I honestly didn't think I could do it but I just kept thinking about complications and I didn't want any!

My nutritionist had a pre-surgery diet of a shake for breakfast, a Smart One or a Lean Cuisine for lunch and dinner and another sake as a snack OR I could do regular food that was similar to this diet.

Starting weight-244.4   Currently-145.2   Surgeon goal-150   My own goal-140        

fat_chance
on 8/26/13 8:05 am - NY

my doctor recommended eggs for breakfast, a lean cuisine for lunch and lean cuisine for dinner. While doing this I wasnt losing too much weight. It may have been because I like the lean cuisines with carbs. He suggested lean cuisine dinners with meat and vegetables. They were hard to find. I began doing my own version of a low carb diet. Bacon and eggs for breakfast, lunch meat and cheese roll up for lunch and meat and veg for dinner. In two months, Ive lost 22 lbs. I have to admit, I did have some set backs, a couple of mixed drinks here and there and more carbs than alotted on some days. For the most part...I have gotten back on track and am doing well. So again...it depends on the individual. My pre op diet started June 28th, is it now August 26th and my surgery is scheduled for September 26th.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views