I don't get it

kitsyb
on 8/21/13 11:21 am - Mobile, AL
VSG on 01/23/12

I belong to a facebook group of sleevers and a girl on there posted the following

So I went to see the doc for a checkup and the nut comes in to go over blood work. Everything was fine until I told her that I'm happy with my weight-loss and I don't want to lose much more. She replies saying I should lose more, it's still healthy to lose more. If I was to follow that stupid chart they have I'd have to weigh 140lbs to be considered healthy. I think that is too low for me to go. What happened to supporting the patient?    I'm not trying to do anything that makes me uncomfortable so if I'm "obese" oh well...     My post was:  Why would you not shoot for a normal BMI?   Her response:  Because my body doesn't want to go that low regardless of how much I do the right things. I worked very hard to get where I am BUT if I keep going I won't be able to enjoy the life I've worked so hard to get a hold on.

Jackie T.
on 8/21/13 11:39 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I am speechless, not sure what to say!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

great.lakes.girl.
on 8/21/13 12:25 pm
I agree I am speechless just absolutely speechless!
rengirl1978
on 8/21/13 12:50 pm - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

Well, maybe she is a "big boned" or "stocky" person? I am only 5'4 but I am not sure that I would like to weigh 140 either!! My goal is 170. I am a very  "big boned" or "stocky" person... I wear a size 10 shoe! I don't even remember weighing 140, ever, so it must have been in my early teenage years. I am not looking to be stick skinny, I just want to feel good about myself and be able to play with my kids.

Rhiannon VSG 12/18/13 ~ Mo 1 -35lbs ~ Mo 2 -15lbs ~ Mo 3 -13lbs ~ Mo 4 -8lbs ~ Mo 5 -9lbs ~ Mo 6 -6lbs ~ Mo 7 -8lbs

If we all liked the same things, what fun would life be?

morgans
on 8/21/13 9:54 pm
VSG on 06/18/12

My initial goal was 130. I'm at 170. I'm 47 years old and was never really "petite" even though I'm 5'3". I can't close my fingers around my wrist. 170 looks fine on me. If I drop a few more that's great, but my doctor is thrilled with where I am and I don't want to have to work out like a mad woman every day to keep another 40 pounds off.

I don't see anything wrong with the FB post.

charmedaz
on 8/21/13 12:53 pm

i would like to find a nice facebook group for vsg....id like to interact with people in more real time than this forum

but anywhere you go, forums, groups, even real life groups...there are going to be out there theories, reasonings and advice...

Dr. Joya:    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/officialdrjoya

Twitter: https://twitter.com/drjoyadotcom

pineview01
on 8/21/13 1:00 pm - Davison, MI

Sorry I don't see anything wrong with the post.  If she is comfortable, healthy and happy with her weight?  I have reached "normal" before and didn't feel well or like the way I looked.  So I understand what they are saying and am not the least bit "shocked"

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

(deactivated member)
on 8/21/13 1:03 pm - Canada
VSG on 08/16/13

maybe she's freaked about being a 'normal' weight and not 'overweight'.  so she's staying in a safety zone.  some people hide behind their weight and when they start getting attention they start getting scared.  i bet over time she will get over it and go lower.  right now it's where she feels safest.

Marley M.
on 8/21/13 1:30 pm - Brooklyn, NY
VSG on 07/19/12 with
I don't see what the problem is. She likes her body at the weight she is and is happy. Not everyone wants to be stick thin. Some women, myself included likes curves and think that women should have them and not look like teenage boys. Just MHO.

HW 316 SW 310 GW 170-175                    

A. Kondrlik
on 8/21/13 9:43 pm
VSG on 01/24/13

I think people have all different kinds of goals for their WLS. If her BMI for "normal" is 140 she probably is the same height as me. which is 5" 3"

I am aiming for that goal, but if I could maintain at 150 that would be great.

We don't know how much she weighs now  150? 200?  How much has she already lost?  Have her comorbids improved?

It is kind of unusual from what I hear for the dr goal to be lower than the patients

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Most Active