Pre Op Psych Evaluation

Maxine1234
on 8/20/13 7:50 am

I have my first Psych evaluation on Monday. ( then I will be referred to bariatrics )

What kind of things do they ask you at this appointment?

Thank you.

cappy11448
on 8/20/13 8:09 am

My psych eval was just an interview where they asked about family, work, friends, stressors in my life, etc. They mapped out my family history a bit.  It was pleasant.  I get the feeling they were trying to determine if I had a support system,  how well I handled problems, etc.  It was no big thing.  I know that some people had to do some psych evaluation tests, but I didn't.

best wishes

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

sarah G.
on 8/20/13 8:12 am
VSG on 10/10/13

I had mine last week. They asked a lot about my eating habits, how I felt about myself, how much support I have at home, friends and extendEd family. Asked about stress in my life. Asked a lot of questions about how my weight makes me feel. Also a lot of questions to find out of I have a eating disorder. 

HW 267 Consult W 260 SW 255 CW 227   Goal 135   

DreamAngel3372
on 8/20/13 9:01 am

I had a choice of psychiatrist or lcsw..I chose psych. She basically asked about my personal history..growing up..siblings..relationships..food issues..I was very truthful with her but didnt go into great detail about anything unless she asked for more info..which I think was once regarding my family. Basically they just want to make sure you have realistic expectations of the surgery and that you have support or know where to go for support. Not a big deal. Best of luck to you!

TJR2Mental
on 8/20/13 9:36 am - Grand Blanc, MI

I had to answer approximately 20 pages of questions at the beginning of the appointment.  (I am not exaggerating here...)  Approximately 1 1/2 hours.  Then speak with the psychologist about all of my answers.  Approximately 1/2 hour.  After that a 500+ true/false personality assessment.  Approximately 2 hours.  I later found out it is referred to as the MMPI-2.  Then two pages of questions regarding my eating habits, attitude and feelings toward food, etc.... rating from do not agree to completely agree.  Approximately 1/2 hour.  Then wait for the psychologist to tell me he was able to create a "valid" profile, or else it would have been more true/false questions.  The whole appointment was about 5 hours.  It was pretty intense, but I answered everything honestly and was still approved for surgery.

LtWeight
on 8/20/13 9:53 am - MO
VSG on 07/29/13

Me too, I had about 20 pages (3 or 4 different booklets) of questions at the end of my appointment after about a half an hour interview with the psychologist.  Some were multiple answer some were true false and some seemed like duplicates of questions I had already answered.  It covered the same, eating habits, attitude, feelings about food, perceptions about how others viewed me, I think it was a good thing to have.  Others at my bariatric center have not been moved along until specific issues were addressed.  I think that is totally appropriate because you have a better opportunity to succeed if you go into it with your head in the right place.  He also asked about physical or mental abuse in my past and things like that.  It was a long appointment but mine was probably only a couple of hours.

I did have to go back in about a month (due to my schedule/his schedule) for my results, I was soooo worried.  Then he told me he had approved me to go forward that very day of the first appointment.  I thought to myself, ok and you couldn't have just called to tell me that?  LOL.  Everything worked out the way it should and I'm on the other side!  :D  (And very happy about that!)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views