OT--Ideas for nice hairdo for special event when you're balding?

Sleeveless
on 8/17/13 8:13 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Hi gang. Surely someone has an answer to this conundrum.

I turn 50 in Sep and am having dinner at a nice restaurant in San Francisco with several dear friends (some of whom are flying in just for this), and since I've lost a decent amount of weight, I have been shopping for just the right dress. I think I have found the one.

But, what do I do with my hair? It's just a stringy mess, just a few strands holding on. Should I do extensions, an updo, chop it off? What are some styles you've  had success with if your goal is to look feminine and glamorous?

Please share!

TexasTerritory
on 8/17/13 9:19 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
I have baby fine hair so I had six inches cut off to make a pageboy haircut. I love it! I tried so hard to keep it long but it just wasn't working~~ I was frustrated. So I have gone shorter. DH even likes it shorter. Says I look sassy! Good luck and enjoy your party.

Sleeveless
on 8/18/13 1:47 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Thanks, so much, Tex. I'm thinking some kind of trim but with a long style such as a pageboy might be best. Good to know you recommend it!

Tracy D.
on 8/17/13 11:25 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Your face is probably tiny and delicate at this point so I'd go with a short cut.  It will make your eyes and cheekbones pop!  Have your hair person professionally style it before the dinner (I can NEVER get mine to look as good as they do!) and your friends will be WOW'ed.  

Have fun!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Sleeveless
on 8/18/13 1:48 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Thank you, Tracy. I'm thinking this may be the way to go!

AmyInOrlando
on 8/18/13 12:19 am - Orlando, FL

I have extremely thin hair.  I have purchased some really cool wigs and Namebrandwigs.com.  What I did was go to an expensive wig store in Orlando, tried on some different styles, wrote down the name, manufacturer and color and ordered them on line.  Get the "mono" top wigs and they look natural, not "wiggy".  I've had to get a few of them thinned out, but they look great.  I would wear them everyday if it wasn't so hot in Orlando.

Sleeveless
on 8/18/13 1:49 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Thank you, Amy! This is such an interesting suggestion. I'm going to ask my stylist about wigs and other hairpieces. :-)

JudyAz
on 8/18/13 12:50 am - FL

My 20 year old daughter had the sleeve two months ago. She had very thin hair to begin with. She went to a stylist and had a shorter(not too short) cut, layered with many layers.  Styled, it looked really good. Definitely recommend getting your hair done  the day of your party.  She also got a very good wig in her same style and color. Not cheap but she is going to college and wanted something in case it gets any worse. It looks just like her hair only more full and no balding spots. It is hot though and we are in Florida. Then she got two products. One is a powder by Joan Rivers. It is a colored powder to cover up her shiny spots. It looks fine and does the job. No one is really looking that close. She also found something called Topix at Sally that is little colored fibers(her hair color) that she sprinkles on her balding spots. Can be messy though. I would find a good hair stylist or two and get an opinion, and Happy Birthday! I hit the big " 50"  3 years ago. I'm not getting older...I'm getting better..lol

Sleeveless
on 8/18/13 1:51 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Judy, thanks for all these great ideas! I think it's great your daughter was able to get a wig that looked like her own hair! I'm going to check into it!

serenity1959
on 8/18/13 1:31 am
VSG on 08/05/13

Hairbands are in style now -- why don't you pair a dressy hairband with a shorter hairstyle?

HW 275  SW 266

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 285 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views