To Vets who have reached goal

SuzaQue
on 8/17/13 2:08 am - Glendale, AZ
VSG on 04/06/13

To all you vets who have reached goal and are maintaining, would you please post a typical day of what you eat?  How many calories, # protein, # carbs, # fat, etc.?  How much and type of exercise...daily...weekly?

I didn't have insurance and a limited amount of money for my surgery and I went to Mexico.  No problems, very happy, but I didn't get the instruction that comes with the good doctors here in the states. 

Please just spell it out for me, I really want to work this sleeve and get to goal!!!

Preop diet start  /VSG Surgery / Current / Goal
               286                 277            219       165

Lapband / Lowest wt LB unfilled because of problems

286                  250

Highest:     302

califsleevin
on 8/17/13 2:37 am - CA

Protein is pretty much the same as during loss mode, as our requirements don't really change unless one takes up a specific muscle building program; for my needs I aim for 105-110 g for maintenance of my lean body mass, but that can be a fair bit lower for those of smaller build. Fat, I aim for a minimum of 60 g to aid in the absorption of the fat soluble vitamins and carbs are whatever they are once other nutritional goals are met (just as in loss mode, for me at least.) Calories are whatever one needs to maintain a stable weight and can (typically) be anywhere from 1000 -2000 calories or more depending upon one's metabolism; I typically run around 2000 per day but will drop that by 3-400 if I anticipate a major decline in activity levels such as I have had when recovering from a couple of surgeries since the VSG (but still kept the protein up for healing.) You just have to zero in on the caloric level that keeps your weight stable, remembering that 100 calories a day spread over a year's time can work out to about 10 lb one way or the other. For exercise, I typically do 1-2 hours per day between dog walking/hiking, swimming, strength training and yard work (not all on the same day!)

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/13 2:39 am

Well, to be honest, maintenance is where it gets a bit tricky and very individual.  It would be impossible for you to look at what any one of us eats and come up with what YOU should be eating.  So I am going to turn this back on you.   What did you do to get to goal?  How long have you been at goal?  What is your desired weight range? What is your height? How good is your metabolism?  How much do you intend to exercise?  Give me the answers to these questions, and I might be able to start approximating your calorie needs.  In the end, you are going to need to keep a strict diary of your calories and your weight for a bit to help you figure out where you need to be.  You are your own one woman science experiment.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 285 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views