Excess skin after weight loss

KrissyMisssy
on 8/9/13 6:14 am - TN
VSG on 12/02/13

Sorry if this has been asked already, but I can't seem to find a search option. 

I was just wondering to what extent everyone has experienced having extra skin after losing weight. I realize that the skin is only so elastic, but at such a young age (23), I'm hoping my skin will go back at least a little bit. I'm 5'4" and 260 with BMI of 45. Is this unrealistic for me to wish this?

I'm just worried because I don't figure my insurance will cover it, and there's no way I could afford have the surgery to remove it. I don't want that to take away from the fact that I'm losing weight, because I know I'll want to show off my body as I start to slim down. I guess that's my next question. Did having extra, baggy skin take away from your weight loss experience, or were you still super elated that you were dropping pounds? I'm just not sure how I will feel, so hopefully some of you can share your thoughts and experiences. 

Akidd1012
on 8/9/13 11:10 am - KY
VSG on 07/25/13

I am only two weeks post-op so I have no idea! But your post interest me for a few reasons. I am 32 years old. My highest weight was 302. When I was your age I used to say all the time that I don't want to lose weight, because I would rather have fat then loose skin. I was fine with being big, because I was used to being that way. I am now a mother of a 19month old little boy. My child is as active as he can be. I no longer care about my body and the way it looks. I do however care that my son will not have the mother he deserves because I am too fat to play with him. I am too fat to ride rides with him and I am too fat to do anything with him. I also had a horrific car accident where I broke my hip socket. My hip is now plated together with plates and screws. So between the hip and the weight, I was absolutely useless to my son. I also refuse to let him have the relationship with food that I do. I want to set an example for him to eat and be healthy. Now with all of that being said, I want to ask you why you want to have surgery? Is it because you want to be able to wear clothes like a skinny girl? Or is it because you want to be healthy and live a longer happier life? Being healthy with the possibility of excess skin is a small worry compared to a lifetime of disease and loneliness. You can hid the loose skin, but I assure you that everyone will know that you weigh what you do, there is no hiding it! 

KrissyMisssy
on 8/9/13 11:48 am - TN
VSG on 12/02/13

You bring up a very good point, and I can absolutely relate to you. I have a 13 month old who is not even as active as he will be soon, and I'm already able to see that I need a life change for not being able to keep up with him. It has really made me realize the severity of my situation. I will live a shorter life as it stands right now, and the prospect of having a better future- one I thought I would ever have- is very uplifting and has made me cry tears of joy on several occasions. I have done a lot of research and read so many testimonials, and I keep seeing photos of the loose skin. Yes, I can hide it, but in the back of my mind, I think I'm expecting (or desperately hoping) that I will get back the body I had at 17, which was the last time I weighed my goal weight of 145. Although I realize that I'm doing this for a much, MUCH bigger cause, I realize that it's an emotional experience and I don't want that happiness to be overshadowed by the flabby skin. I'm hoping that others on here are able to give some input as to what their feelings are about the situation. I would nothing more than to forget about the baggy skin after I start losing, but I want to know if that's possible or reasonable after the surgery. 

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/13 1:17 pm - Canada
VSG on 08/16/13

there is nothing wrong with wanting to look good after losing weight and asking questions about your skin.  i am the exact same weight and height as you and i'm having surgery next friday, and i hope my skin doesn't hang either.

i think you will be happy to be losing the weight and becoming more active and healthy.  even if you do have skin you can get it fixed up down the road.

i had a tummy tuck after having my daughter.  yes i was vain.

shrinking_sarah
on 8/9/13 3:19 pm - CA

My stomach and inner thighs are pretty baggy, and my boobs are sad empty sacks of skin.

That said--I much prefer this body to the one 112 lbs heavier.  I look good in clothes.  It's only naked that I cringe.

I will probably have plastics.  If I couldn't afford them, I'd survive.  And buy some really good bras and something to make my tummy look less squishy under clothes. :)

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

SuzyNZ
on 8/9/13 6:28 pm
VSG on 09/17/12

I have a bra and knickers shot on my profile.  It was taken about 20lbs ago, but I had lost about 160lbs by then.

Im 40 and given how big I was, Im pretty happy with how things have bounced back.  Sure, I have batwings, but who walks around flapping their arms right?!  And I have some melted wax look at the very tops of my thighs and on my belly,  which doesn't show much in the photo.

BUT....I take those things in a heartbeat over going back to being 180lbs heavier again.

I started with. 51 BMI and am now happily at 26, with no intention of going too much lower.  Keeping some of my curves helps with the skin and I just fundamentally believe girls should have curves.  When I started seeing the shadows of my ribs in my chest, that was it for me, I was done with losing regardless of what my BMI is.

At your age, your skin should bounce back well, but don't expect miracles and just know that you WILL feel much better being lighter and a few jiggly bits isn't the end of the world. :)

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

hollirrose
on 8/9/13 8:50 pm
VSG on 04/21/12
There isnt much you can do about extra skin. It pretty much is about genetics. It is kind of like getting strech marks when you are pregnat. No amount of lotion is going to stop them from showing up... If your mom has strech marks...chances are that you will too. I lost oodles of weight and my upper legs and arm look pretty bad. My face and tummy area are pretty good. In clothes, I look normal. Naked.. I look a little melted. I much prefer being skinny/healthy with wrinkly skin over fat/dying and filled out. =). The only one that can let extra skin take away from your weight loss experience is you... Just dont let it! Good luck!!

Crissy327
on 8/10/13 6:05 am - NC

Hey there!

I am just over two years post op. I was 230 on the day of my surgery and now am at 130. I don't really have much sagging skin. I really expected to but have very little. My skind looks so good now that some people actually think I am lying when I have told them I have lost 100 lbs. That just makes me laugh. He He Even people on here have actually said they thought I was lying and must have had plastic. He He. I wish I could afford plastics but have other priorities for my money. I would love to have my little turkey gobble done, my little bat wings done and my breasts put back in their rightful place but it just doesn't seem worth the money when there are other things I want to do with my money, like enjoy my new life:). Anyway, I think things bounced back suprisingly well. My mom also had the surgery and is not fairing nearly as well. She has 25 years on me of being overweight though. I was only heavy for about 8 years, so maybe that and age has something to do with it. I am no spring chicken though, I currently 44, was 42 at the time of surgery. Anyway, I did not nothing special as all I could read on the topic said nothing would effect the outcome. I lost most of my weight in the first 6 months.

Good luck and don't sweat it. The feeling better about myself, being treated better by others and everything else, makes it so worth it. I can do what I want and not have to think about if I can or if it is going to hurt to do it. That's priceless.

Hope my two cents helps.

On my way!!!!!!

Crissy    
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 307 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 354 views