Home from hospital!!

princesswimmer24
on 8/7/13 1:29 pm - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

I was d/c from the hospital today. We got home around noonish. My hubby was sleeved 3 wks ago and I compare a lot of progress or lack there of to his. It seems that I was in a lot more pain then he was. He was off the pump the night he had surgery and didn't have much trouble moving around and getting in/out of bed. I seem to be the complete opposite. Apparently while in postop I was in so much pain that they maxed out what they could give me. I was on a Fentanyl pump and I have a patch as well. I maxed that out a couple of times too and had to wait to hit the magic green button. I realize that I'm doing better today than yesterday and 10x better than Monday, but I have never experienced this much pain from surgery before and I have had my share of them. I'm not having any problems getting liquids down. I got in about 48 oz today, which I thought was pretty good. I am still super gassy, so drinking tends to create more pressure for me. The hardest part right now is getting up and down. It just feels like the right side of my abd is on FIRE!! Did anyone else experience this? And I am pretty sure the crushed up pills mixed with water is cruel and unusual punishment lol

On a positive note, I only gained 4lbs of fluid while in the hospital. I am hoping that tomorrow's pain will be less than today and I will be able to get around better. Thanks for all the prayers and words of encouragement and hopefully by this wknd I will joining ya'll on the loser's bench!

Beadle
on 8/7/13 1:48 pm
VSG on 05/28/13 with

Take one day at a time before long you will be feeling much better. Remember sip, walk, rest repeat often

Just keep on moving

themexcellentone
on 8/7/13 1:49 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Be gentle with yourself...you just had major surgery! :)  Glad everything went well but sorry to hear you are hurting.  Remember to sip, sip, sip and walk, walk, walk.  The walking is really good for the gas pain.

My hubby is getting sleeved Monday...I will be interested to see how you and yours do on this journey!  Glad to see another couple going through this together.

Welcome to the loser's bench...we've made room for you!

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

princesswimmer24
on 8/7/13 11:36 pm - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

A lot of people are surprised when we tell them that we had the surgery 3wks apart, but my thought is, there is no one else that I would rather go through this journey with. It's been very helpful to be able to ask hubsters about different things that I would normally freak out about and the can say, yep, I had that too. Hope your hubby's surgery goes well and keep us updated on both of ya'lls progress!

themexcellentone
on 8/8/13 3:26 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Thanks for the well wishes!  Hubby has learned quite a lot by watching me go through this process so I hope that my good behaviors are rubbing off on him!  It is good to have a partner that understands how this whole thing works because they are doing it too. :)

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Calking
on 8/7/13 3:46 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

Please do not fall into the trap of comparing your journey with his.  I know it is very hard to do since you are living with him but everyone will experience their own journey and will loose at their own rate.  Do not feel bad if you don't have the same experience that your husband is having or has had.  

Remember that men and women are built differently and there are going to be differences just simply due to the facts of the biological differences between men and women.  

I actually had a very similar experience as your husband.  What sticks in my mind is the office staff where I had my surgery.  One of the staff members had the surgery from the same surgeon and was a woman.  I was told by her co-worker that she was in a lot of pain and it sounds like she went through an experience similar to what you are.  The staff member that told me about her co-worker's pain experience helped me leave the hospital and drove me to my hotel.  She was shocked to see me hop out of the wheel chair I was discharged from and jump up into her truck without any assistant.  The nurse was also shocked at that.  I had absolutely no troubles moving around.  Actually that day I only took one pain pill.  The next day only two pain pills and the third day I took one last pain pill for my whole experience.  The pain for me was only due to gas.  

So that was a case where the same surgeon did surgery on a woman who had a painful recovery and me (a man) that absolutely had the opposite experience.  I have been told in the past that I have a high tolerance for pain so that may have something to do with it.  But there could be an inherent difference between a woman and a man undergoing this experience.

Just some thoughts.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

princesswimmer24
on 8/7/13 11:35 pm - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

thanks for the advice!

Nancybefree
on 8/7/13 9:10 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

Congratulations on becoming a postop!  I'm sorry that you've experienced so much pain -- that was surprising to read.  Hang in there.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

princesswimmer24
on 8/8/13 1:11 am - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

thanks for the words of encouragement. Today is better than yesterday so that's a step in the right direction!

linzeelee
on 8/7/13 11:41 pm - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

Sorry about the pain :( Hang in there and be kind to yourself. I wish you a speedy recovery!

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 304 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views