Another stall

ltljennjenn
on 8/1/13 11:49 pm

Stalls suck!!

I had one at 1 week post op and now another one at 6 weeks. It is so hard to understand how you can barely be eating anything and yet the scale doesn't move.

I eat 2oz of only healthy food per meal and drink drink drink my water. I squeeze in a 2 ml walk 2 times a week (not to easy to find time to exercise with 3 kids and a part time job!).

I have only lost 3 lbs in 2 weeks, HELP!!!

ltljennjennkiss

Debra M.
on 8/2/13 12:13 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13
You need to take your body measurements. Every time I have a stall I lose inches. We are losing weight so quickly that our bodies need a chance to reset themselves. Just keep doing what you are doing and you will notice your clothes are bigger and at the end of the stall you will experience a sudden weight loss. Keep smiling, it is all good.

lnettles1963
on 8/2/13 1:05 am
VSG on 07/12/13

LOL, I wrote the post last week about stalling at 1 week, kept on pushing through and then bam a three pound loss. Your doing everything right and you know that, so don't let the mental thing get to you. Keep busy, focus on something else. I agree with the measurement thing. No pounds but definitely lost inches.

Also someone responded to me and said we are on a teeter totter, we lose pounds and then the body has to catch up so we are losing inches and then once it is caught up we are back to losing pounds. Made sense to me!!!

Sending you good vibes and wishes!!!!!

ltljennjenn
on 8/2/13 1:09 am

Thanks. I do know this is normal but it doesn't mean it doesn't still suck!! Tough to eat like a bird and not see it on that damn scale. Just had to vent!!

ltljennjennkiss

lil1inside
on 8/2/13 1:11 am
VSG on 07/10/13

I can feel your pain!!  I was doing so very well up into my 3rd week, and I've stayed the same for a while now.  I have heard many say this is a normal thing, and we are still losing inches (so I don't freak out as much).  On top of this, I've developed poison ivy (yes, poison ivy at 50--you'd think my system would be immune by now)enlightened  Hang in there, I look forward to hearing of your progress in the future!

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

ltljennjenn
on 8/2/13 1:22 am

Oh geez, feel better!

ltljennjennkiss

Hadrian
on 8/2/13 1:43 am
VSG on 06/13/13
I'm on day 8 of a stall as well. Not fun but my clothes are fitting better. People are really starting to notice my weight loss now....down 43.
rhearob
on 8/2/13 2:07 am - TN

Stalls, like that other four letter word beginning with "s" happen.  Its our lot in life.

The weight loss process your body goes through is incredibly complex.  We have ketosis whereby our body is breaking down fat to use for energy.  Theres the cycle of glycogenesis where we are depleting and using glycogen in our muscles for energy.  Theres physiological changes from the loss of fat - fat cells shrink, fat gets redistributed, etc.

Sometimes, your body just needs a break to move around all the furniture and catch up.  Thats a stall.  Because of the dynamics - they behave differently for all of us.  Some have them more common, some are short, some are long.  They all suck.  I even had some where I gained.  That will mess with your head on 600 calories a day.

Heres where you start.  Measure yourself at least weekly.  When you don't see the scale move, you will often see your measurements change.

Make absolutely sure you are getting as much water as you possibly can in.  Water is the fuel that powers all of those processes I mentioned above.  64 ounces is a minimum, not a goal.  You should be drinking at least half your body weight (as measured in pounds) in ounces of water a day.  This makes sure you have all of the water you need to break down that fat and form glycogen from it.

Change up your exercise.  Sometimes, just shocking your body with something new will start you moving again.  Add in another walk, increase your pace on one of your existing walks.  You need to be doing cardio at least 3 times a week.  Add in some strength training, lean muscle burns more calories than fat.  Adding muscle will help you burn fat faster.

Finally make sure you are eating on plan.  Keep carbs as low as you can.  That will keep you in ketosis and make sure you are burning fat instead of sugar.  Keep protein in your diet as high as you can to make sure your body doesn't rob it from your muscles and organs while you are in ketosis.

The only proven thing to break a stall is time.  Stay on your program, at the end of the stall your body will reward you with a nice jump in the right direction.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

OregonGuy2012
on 8/2/13 3:11 am
VSG on 04/04/13

Agreed.. Stalls Suck.  I am just getting over a two week long stall. 

In the last two days I have lost 1.5 pounds, so I think I have broken this stall.  I am almost 4 months out and down about 90 pounds.  I am actually really happy where I am at and how I feel.  My goal is to drop another 10 pounds. 

My advise would be to keep up on your food plan, make sure your getting in Protein after any workout so you do not lose muscle.  Muscle burns fat!.  I have two kids and work full time so I understand how it feels like there is no time for workouts.  If its an option you might want to look into swimming or weight lifting.  I take my kids to the pool and let them play as I do laps.   If I really pu**** I can swim for 1.5 to 2 hours a night.  I get home from work around 6 pm, hit the pool by 6:30 pm.  Sometimes I eat before I work out or sometimes I will wait till after.  Another idea would be to put them in front of a movie if they are small and then do some weight lifting.  Another idea would be to find a partner and either find a babysitter or take turns watching the kids as the other works out.

good luck

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 308 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 355 views