Two years post op and only lost 50 lbs.

VickyBT
on 7/30/13 5:03 am - MI

It came to a screeching halt 6 months out. No stall, just stopped even though I was consistently eating the way I should back then.
Am I the only one who has experienced this?

No I don't always eat perfect and still struggle with head hunger
and the scale wants to creep up if I'm not careful.
I don't need to be preached at about eating and exercising....I know all about that BUT

it would seem to me I would still lose at least slowly since I eat so much less than I did pre-op.

Also do sleeves stretch out?
My surgeon said no.

"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 7/30/13 5:11 am
VSG on 12/06/12

I am not an expert but from what I have read it is possible but very hard to do. They remove our fundus which is the stretchiest part of the stomach what is left is very tough. I think to stretch it out you would need to abuse your stomach badly like eating to pain and discomfort all of the time. Which I have done once or twice by accident and would think someone would have to be a huge food addict to go through that immense pain enough to stretch it out. Sorry you have not lost more. Maybe an appointment with your team might help you?

VickyBT
on 7/30/13 5:11 am - MI

Another thought although I wouldn't do it if I could do it all over again because I personally have concerns about the risks/side effects of DS or RNY...but... I think it might be better for hard core food addicts such as myself to consider these options in order to lose more weight.

lionladypa
on 7/30/13 10:08 am

I had RNY 2 yrs ago this past March and had dropped 70 lbs when I hit a plateau also then started to gain.  So RNY won't do the trick either.  My daughter just had RNY and I went back on the liquid diet with her for the past week+.  I have dropped about 10 lbs.  If you start over (drastic as it is) it might help kick start your loss again.

datachick
on 7/30/13 5:16 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

Did you have a question other than if your stomach can stretch?

If you provide your food and exercise log, maybe folks can help!

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

VickyBT
on 7/30/13 5:26 am - MI

I don't need advise on eating and exercise...just wondering if this is unusual to stop at 6 months out.
It seems like in order to lose now I have to do the same thing I did pre-op...starve myself. I'm just wondering why eating less/my sleeve isn't making any diff?

vogue
on 7/30/13 5:31 am
VSG on 08/30/12
On July 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM Pacific Time, VickyBT wrote:

I don't need advise on eating and exercise...just wondering if this is unusual to stop at 6 months out.
It seems like in order to lose now I have to do the same thing I did pre-op...starve myself. I'm just wondering why eating less/my sleeve isn't making any diff?

yes it is very unusual..... so now what?
datachick
on 7/30/13 6:17 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

Maybe you are eating more or the same number of calories than you are burning.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

rhearob
on 7/30/13 5:26 am - TN

As far as sleeve stretching - your surgeon would know best.  A lot of it depends on his technique.  Some surgeons leave more fundus at the top to try and avoid reflux issues.  Some take it all and sew you up as tight as a drum.

Ultimately, get an upper GI and look at your stomach on screen if you want to know for sure.

As you progress your restriction will decrease some.  At about 3 months out it is as tight as it will ever be.  At that point the incision line is completely scarred over and at its strongest.  As the excess scar material is reabsorbed from about 6 months to a year you will feel that restriction lessen some.

The answer lies in the numbers some way.  WLS or not the formula for weight loss is :  calories burned > Calories eaten.  If thats true you will lose, if its not you will maintain or gain.

Go back and take a hard look at your logging.  Are you eating around your sleeve?  Are you making food choices that are calorie heavy?  Are you even logging?

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

emelar
on 7/30/13 5:44 am - TX

Assuming you still have a good hunk of weight to lose, then, yes, your results are unusual.  If you're eating fewer calories than you're burning, you should be losing weight, with or without sleeve.  There may be a metabolic issue that's preventing you from losing - thyroid jumps to mind.

If you started with 60 pounds to lose and you've lost 50, then you're fine!

Your stomach doesn't stretch.  The stretchy part was removed.  Increased eating capacity comes from swelling going down, the scar tissue getting softer and more flexible along the incision line, and the size the sleeve was originally made.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 293 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 344 views