General rate of weight loss

starry957
on 7/3/13 1:29 pm

Hello! 

Well, I am almost at 6 months post op.  Weight loss has been better than I anticipated (considering a few choices I've made along the way..), and I just wondered, in general...when (or if?) there was a time that things slowed or when you made efforts to slow loss down a little?  I'm not complaining, but sometimes it is surprising to me that the loss has not stopped...I have read so much about "stalls", and just wondered about the validity of those?

Thanks for your feedback,

Kerry

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

vsgme2013
on 7/3/13 1:49 pm

It's wonderful that you are doing so well.  I am only 3 weeks out so I can't comment on when or how to stop the weight loss.  I can however vouch for the "validity" of the stalls.  Everyone is different and every metabolism is different so the way we all lose will be different.  I have been in a stall for 1 week and have not done anything different or eaten 1 thing off plan.  Count yourself fortunate and keep mindful that all of our journeys are different.

VSG on 6/12/2013.  Surgery weight 251 lbs. 

starry957
on 7/3/13 3:15 pm

Thanks for your feedback. I do feel fortunate, but of course I do worry about each step of this processkiss.

LVeronica
on 7/3/13 10:00 pm

Each week after the first month post op, I have lost from 4-0 pounds.  The average has been 2 pounds a week and steady for the past three months.  No real "stalls".  I am sure I would loose faster if I would exercise more.  I hope this keeps up for at least another six to nine months.  I would expect that as you get smaller that your weight loss would start to slow down a little, and eventually you would reach a new steady state depending on your individual energy balance.  I am only four months post op so I really can't give you a personal testimony on how I have done long term.

happyteacher
on 7/4/13 12:09 am

There are many here who continue to lose after 6 months.  The rate of loss may slow down a bit, but that is primarily due to people loosening up and the simple fact our bodies do not require as many calories to burn at our lighter weights thus the deficit is smaller.  Check my ticker- pretty typical.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 7/4/13 12:30 am

Generally speaking, the weight loss tends to slow down after six months for most people.  This does not apply to everyone and your mileage will vary. 

The slowdown is caused by  a number of factors...

1) Our capacity is bigger because the sleeve has fully matured.

2) We weigh less so we need fewer calories to maintain our bodyweight.

3) We often become less diligent in our eating habits the further out we get.

4) We get tired of following a "program" and revert back to our pre-surgery eating habits.

None of this is unavoidable, and you get to determine when you are done losing . 

starry957
on 7/4/13 9:49 am

Thanks everyone...appreciate your responses.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 396 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 425 views