Looking into the Gastric Sleeve

Malasis
on 7/2/13 3:23 am - Suisun, CA

Hello! My name is Melissa and I am interested in the Gastric Sleeve. I came very close to getting the lap band (before my insurance changed) and Im so glad I didn't after hearing that the appointments for fills are not covered thru my insurance. I was also a canditate for the gastric bypass surgery but I have a problem with absorbing nutrients so the doctors said this would not be a good option for me. I have been reading about the Gastric Sleeve and it seems as though this might work for me. I am not one to jump, I want to research everything I can. I take this very seriously, I have 3 great kids and a wonderful husband that I have to be around for. So I want to make sure I make the best decision possible.

I would appreciate any information or stories from those who have had the Sleeve done. How long did it take you to have your surgery? Was it painful? Were you nauseated? When were you able to eat and drink? What can you safely eat and drink?

I look forward to reading all of your stories! I think it is absolutely amazing to read about what you all have gone thru. You all are a inspiration!  I hope to be one as well! enlightened

nmrudge
on 7/2/13 4:53 am - IL
VSG on 12/10/12

I started my weight loss journey in March 2012 at 325 lbs.  I didn't meet all program and insurance goals until December 2012 which is when I had surgery.  I start with this because most surgeons and insurance providers have some sort of requirements you must meet before surgery.  It's typically not something you can schedule and have done within a few weeks of making a decision to have surgery. 

My program had me meeting with a physical therapist and nutritionist every month to monitor my physical activity and food consumption.  I wasn't required to lose a certain amount weight prior to surgery but because I got active and made better food choices, I lost 25 lbs anyway.  My pre-op experience wasn't difficult at all.  If you mentally prepare yourself and make the necessary changes, pre-op life isn't half bad.  My program even had me do a two week, liquid only, diet prior to surgery.  This helps shrink your liver and cuts down on surgical risks.  Thinking back, I guess this period was difficult but when you have waited nine months for surgery, you won't let anything get in your way at the point. 

According to my surgeon, my surgery had no complications.  I had no hernias to fix and my gallbladder was fine.  I had surgery on a Monday and was home by Thursday.  The pain was manageable.  I had a morphine drip post-op which I didn't like. It made me to sleepy and unable to get my fluids in.  So I had my nurse go with something lighter.  Which ended up being tylenol. The only time I felt nauseated was when I was coming out of the anesthesia. 

I spent the first two weeks sipping fluids only.  My surgeon wanted me at 80oz a day.  Which was very difficult to meet at first.  After that, he said I could start on purees.  After that, soft food and eventually "regular foods".  I'm 7 months out and have a pretty normal diet.  The only thing I cannot tolerate is bread.  For whatever reason, my sleeve can't handle it. 

One of biggest changes I had to make with this whole process is learning to eat to live, not live to eat.  My relationship with food prior to surgery was not good.  I was an emotional eater and I overate.  Changing that relationship has definitely helped in my weight loss.  If you don't deal with the mental side of why you are overweight, the physical part of having surgery could end up not being successful. 

The other biggest change I had to make was getting active.  I started walking about 20 minutes several times a week.  Nothing special.  Just around the neighborhood.  Now I workout 4-5 days a week doing cardo and weight training.  There are several people on this site that have lost tremendous amounts of weight by having surgery and just changing their diet.  I wanted to do everything possible to make this a success, so not working out wasn't even in the cards for me.

I'm glad to hear you are considering the sleeve.  I personally am so glad I chose this procedure.  I wanted something a little more permanent than the band and didn't want to deal with the extra side effects of the bypass.  I wish you luck in your research and I hope this answers some of your questions.  The best advice I can give is, this decision is truly life changing.  If you stay true to your plan and get active, anybody can lose the weight.  Good luck!

Edit Delete

Malasis
on 7/2/13 8:26 am - Suisun, CA

Thank you! & Congrats!

sleevegirl
on 7/2/13 5:13 am - Austin, TX

Just keep researching. You don't say your starting weights or how much you want to lose or anything about your lifestyle.

I was 375 pounds 25 months ago. This morning I'm 152. LIfe is pretty damn good.

I think it matters little what surgery you get, but more about your commitment to it. You can read my blog here in my profile if you want to read more about my personal journey.

To answer your questions, your surgeon will tell you what they want you to do pre and post op. I can eat basically anything I want, but I still have to make good choices. Potato chips go down easily and in unending quanities. Chicken... not so much. The only thing I absolutely cannot drink is carbonated drinks. They hurt my stomach. I tend to avoid bread and pasta as they sit too heavily and make me uncomfortable.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

WalkinOnSunshineGirl

on 7/2/13 6:21 am

I needed to read this too today!  I am also researching...to the point where I"ve already had my first one on one with my Dr. whom I adored from the start.  Have gone to 2 sessions/seminars and have all my pre-insurance tests and meeting scheduled for this month so I can get all the paper work ready to submit to the insurance company.  I have been having all those wild ups and downs already....and then reading some on here who have regretted the surgery etc.  And I normally dont worry THAT much over little things and choices I have to make in my life, but this one is a bigee for me.  I came close to going for it 5 years ago and backed down thinking 'I can do this' well I did..sort of.....I lost on Medi-fast....lost on Jenny...lost on WW....and always gained it back.  But I didn't 'stick' with it.  I'd eat healthy and go back to my junk/fast/food ways......so I can't always blame the diet or program if I'm 100% honest here....which makes me wonder about doing something this drastic to get healthy...and those crazy 'what ifs' creap into my head late at night....what if I can't keep it off even after all this hard work to get to surgery and then the hard work after?  I dont want to be one of those people you see on Biggest Loser who have lost 150 or more pounds from WLS only to gain it back and be on that show!  This is probably THE most stressful challenge and decision I've ever had to deal wtih and I've had some doozies in my lifetime.   I told a co-worker today that wouldn't it be nice if we had a magical genie we could go to to ask these hard questions and they could tell us what we should do? :)  I know many people do have ups and downs during this process.  I envy those who 'knew from the start' that this was what they wanted...never had fears....never doubted...never looked back.  I wish I could deal with it this way! I appreciate this site so much already.  It helps to know there are others out there who are going through the same things!

sleevegirl
on 7/2/13 6:37 am - Austin, TX

Here's the thing... this is drastic, but it's not going to fix you.

I hope you don't mind if I ramble at you for a minute...

I didn't lose 223 pounds by the surgery. Yes, it helped. It's a VERY powerful tool. The harsh reality though... you aren't going to keep it off unless you're willing to do the hard work. Log your food, stay within your program requirements, get mental health help.

I know I seem like a broken record a lot to some on here, but if you don't get down to the root problem of WHY you overeat and WHY you turn to food in whatever situation your triggers are, you won't keep it off. People DO have regain. Most of those people turned back to food for their comfort.

I see folks on here from time to time swear that they don't need a therapist or they don't overeat or whatever. Look, the reality is that none of us got to be obese because we were hungry for food.

I lived in denial about my eating and the why side of it. I distinctly remember making sure my husband was gone to work and making sure the kids were at school and mindlessly driving and buying 6 breakfast tacos. Now, I see why and I understand, but the reality is that I had major issues to deal with.

It's HARD. Therapy is the hardest thing I've done in my life, but it's also the reason I'm successful.

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

WalkinOnSunshineGirl

on 7/2/13 7:41 am

No thank you the 'rambling' is just what I need:)  I know the cold hard truths of having to deal

with all my food demons/addictions.  I am sure it will be a heckava ride and I've never been 

that successful over the past....but having this powerful tool....I think is the only thing that will

force me to deal headon with things I've always put off and then used food to 'fix' them..fully knowing

the only one that can do the fixing is me.  I had a friend 5 years ago get the bypass and in the months leading

up to her actual date she would tell me she had gone out to McDs etc. and was pretty much eating anything and

everything in sight.  I asked her once....but this is the stuff that got you here in the first place and she just shrugged

her shoulders and said 'but I'll deal with it later'   I just know that if I dont make some hardcore changes NOW before

I even have the surgery...I'll be in for a shock afterwards and it will be harder.  My Dr. actually is requiring me to start

this particular program (very similar to an Atkins plan) right now..months before the surgery which I think is a good thing.

This is going to force me to learn other means other than food to get me thorough the tough days in life...something I wish I had done 

years ago.  I'd always 'start' then stop.....which is how I got here to begin with. Thank you again Candy....you're not a broken record 

to me...you've been most helpful!

sleevegirl
on 7/2/13 7:45 am - Austin, TX

I feel your friend's pain. I will admit that I ate out 3 meals per day the month leading up to surgery (which is how I got to 375 between my consult and starting the pre-op diet. It was disgusting and gross, but was part of my own process. I realize now it was fear and my way of throwing my middle finger up, in some ways.It was also a way to say goodbye.

NOT that I recommend that. I had a tough first couple of months dealing with everything.

You'll be fine... just stay strong. xoxo

Malasis
on 7/2/13 8:17 am - Suisun, CA

I agree, I know it wont fix me, I have to have it in me to work my butt off and do this. I not only have alot of weight to loose but some medical problems that this might help as well. I am about 315 lbs last time I checked. I have gone thru all of the meetings and test etc thru Kaiser (but now my insurance changed) I have been overweight all of my life. You are so right when you say it is a TOOL. that is a perfect way to put it. I was 335 lbs. I started walking and really watching what I put on my plate. Im trying so hard but seem to have hit a wall. Very frustrating.

I have had some health problems in my adult life and I want to start feeling good and living how I want to live. I want to ride a roller coaster with my teenagers. I want that.

Thanks for your reply, and congrats on your success!

Chrissy W.
on 7/2/13 6:15 am - Indianapolis, IN
VSG on 07/01/13
The best research I did before taking the pluge (surgery was yesterday!!) was, honestly, YouTube. There are TONS of video diaries out there made by people who have experienced this. My favorite is a YouTuber called TheSlimJen - she chronicles her journey from day 2 or 3 all the way to more than 18 months out. VERY informative.

Best of luck as you research VSG. It is, by far, the best decision I've ever made.

VSG 7/1/13 with Dr. Jack Rutledge 28 y/o female - 5'10" - HW: 298GW: 174 - SW: 290 (-8) - M1: 262 (-28) - M2: 247 (-15) - M3: 235 (-12) - M4: 228 (-7 ~First Stall: almost 2 wks~) - M5: 218 (-10) - M6: 209 (-9) - M7: 199 (-10) Onederland on 1/31 - M8: 196 (-3) 100 lb total loss on 2/2 - M9: 192.6 (-3.4) - M10: 188.6 (-4) - M11: 182 (-6.6) - M12: 175.6 (-6.4) - M13: 173.8 (-1.8) CW (7/8/15): 167 - GOAL reached in 1 Year and 25 Days! - TOTAL WL - 131 lbs  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 293 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 344 views