Two incisions just started to leak, drain should i go to the er tonight?

south494
on 6/17/13 1:12 pm - NC

Two of five of my incisions just started to leak a clear liquid, half of my steri strip peeled back and it is a yellowish color should i go to the er or is this normal, i cannot get my surgeons answering service to answer!!!!

emelar
on 6/17/13 1:29 pm - TX

If its not painful and the ooze is clear, you should be o****il morning. Keep an eye on it and make sure you're not running a fever. If there's any doubt, head for the er. 

south494
on 6/17/13 1:48 pm - NC

ok thanks!

funnelcloud
on 6/17/13 1:55 pm

I had two of mine leak...same colour.   It got ugly underneath the extra clear dressing....which eventually let go...and let the fluid drain. 

Watch out for redness... hot to the touch for surrounding area...  fever/chills... or bleeding.  Then I'd GO IN...MAKE SURE IT'S THE ER IN THE HOSPITAL THAT THE SURGERY WAS DONE.  IF you're in Ontario Canada  then Call Telehealth ontario and talk to one of their nurses.

I never went to the ER for LEAKING....I ended up in the ER because of uncontrollable vomitting...(dry heaving)

DO GO TO ER... IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE OR IF YOUR GUT INSTINCT SAYS SOMETHINGS NOT RIGHT.  i WAS TOLD THIS leakage WAS NORMAL.. 

But  I did end up calling the Weight Loss Clinic and they got me in right away...turned out one of the incisions wasn't healing properly....I had to go in for treatment twice for one of them.

I don't know if this helps.... If your incisions open up...and start to look worse....go in and get it checked out....DOES YOUR SURGEON WORK OUT OF A WEIGHT LOSS CLINIC? IN YOUR HOSPITAL?

All the best

God bless

Funnelcloud (Barb)

south494
on 6/17/13 10:04 pm - NC

I did go in, and they (the hospital tried many times to reach my surgeon) unsuccessfully but it was infected. They changed the steristrips and told me to call as soon as the office opened. So in an hour i will be doing that but thank you so much! I used to live up near Canada in Plattsburgh/Champlain New York area.  I am now in Charlotte, NC. Thanks for you all's help :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 284 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views