NY Times Article: Are Doctors Nicer to Thinner Patients?

kitsyb
on 5/15/13 2:35 am - Mobile, AL
VSG on 01/23/12

Very interesting read and observations, especially since I work in the healthcare industry.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/29/overweight-patients -face-bias/

JenniferRN
on 5/15/13 4:53 am - NJ
VSG on 01/22/13 with

Yes Dr.'s are nicer to thinner patients and are down right mean to obese patients. I see it in the hospital everyday and you know what? They are nicer to thinner nurses too. Since I have lost my weight I cannot tell you how differently the docs are treating me. 

shrinking_sarah
on 5/15/13 5:54 am - CA

People in general are nicer to thin people, so this is no surprise.  Plus, you know, I've lived it.  I think that overweight people get sub-standard health care most of the time.  Hopefully, education around obesity and obesity prevention and treatment is changing to make this better in the future, but I'm not holding my breath.

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

linzeelee
on 5/15/13 6:49 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

I have lived it too...very sad.

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

sleevegirl
on 5/15/13 6:56 am - Austin, TX

"“You come in with a headache, and the doctors say, ‘You really need to lose weight.’ You have a sore throat, and the doctor says, ‘You really need to lose weight,’ ” he said. “These patients feel like the doctor doesn’t help them and they insult them, and so they stop going.”

This struck me because EVERY time  would go see my old doctor (granted I didn't like her much and dumped her as soon as I could... no matter WHAT my problem was... it was always because I was overweight.

DUH, lady. I'm overweight... now can we talk about why I might be having this issue that thin people all over the world have?

Having said that, my current doctor saw me RIGHT after my VSG and has been nothing but warm and supportive, whether I was thin or overweight. She has given me absolutely no judgment and the advice she's given me for my ideal weight along with other issues has always centered on what's wrong with me, not what she perceives as wrong. She has called out, now four separate times, issues that I would have never guessed... and she was right.

She's definitely in the minority, I think, though. I've had doctors over the years that wrote off things I said because it was (obviously, ya know) a weight issue. BUT I've also had some that really listened.

I think, like everyone you meet in life, it is going to vary, BUT I think doctors are very quick to blame weight. Blood pressure is obviously made worse by weight, so I don't know that that study was exactly fair... but I totally agree with the sentiment.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/13 10:21 am

Thanks! Good read. My experiences have led me to believe the same. However, my last two docs were fabulous and my weight, while regularly noted was never a pushed issue. In fact, without my GP's support I most likely would not have pursued WLS. He's the one that pointed me in the right direction and suggested I consider it! Now the PA's in the office are another thing altogether. I hated seeing one in particular. Everything that was ever wrong with me, and I mean ever, was because I was fat. Yup, even the allergic reaction I had once! Went something like this....."You know, Devon, you would have a better immune response if you weren't obese." Really, like an allergic reaction to a chemical was caused by my obesity!

shrinking_sarah
on 5/15/13 10:33 am - CA

I didn't mind it when they commented on my need to lose weight, because I did, and maybe if someone had spoken up BEFORE I was obese I wouldn't be here right now (ok, probably I would, but still).  However, I got some of the worst diet advice from medical doctors ever.  From the just not helpful ("eat 1200 calories a day") to being on par with what you read in women's magazines ("stop eating wheat/rice/flour/meat/whatever").  ONE doctor gave me a referral to a nutritionist, which was helpful.  Everyone one else just kind of ignored me and gave me sub-par care.

Once, in a moment that was horrifying and awful and lead to me writing a LONG letter to this MD, an obgyn made diet tips WHILE MY FEET WERE IN THE STIRRUPS!  Maybe wait until I'm dressed and you aren't scraping cells off my cervix to give me your thoughts on weight loss?  The worst part was she knew I was trying to get pregnant and that coming to her office was hard for me to begin with.  I got a new obgyn after that.

Ok, rant over.  I guess better medical attention is another thing for me to look forward to!

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/13 10:49 am

You win! The stirrup thing is far worse than my allergic reaction.

Sad thing is I still have very strong negative feelings towards that woman. So much so that I no longer allow her to treat me.  She can go hang herself. I will only see my doc now. Love him. He's never been anything but upfront, honest and kind with me. Even when he discussed my weight related illnesses he only stressed the positive, which was the fact that he believed everything would reverse if I could get the weight off. He saw how hard I worked and failed and worked some more that he thought WLS was really the answer for me. God love him!

Most Active