Feeling Scared

SoSoHappy
on 5/16/13 4:38 am - CA
VSG on 04/09/12

I have been very successful with the sleeve, having lost 150+ in a year.  I am now trying to maintain, but I have let myself have some foods that I had not touched in over a year.  It was like opening up the floodgates.  I now crave candy, experience hunger, and feel like I am snacking every hour.  In less than a week, I have put on 5 pounds and I am not sure how to stop this.  I need some tips on how to get back on track.  I do great during the day, but the night is killing me.

Another question I have is whether anyone feels like even a small amount of carbs causes weight gain and extreme cravings?  It seems like my life was so easy without carbs, but I don't know how to get the strength to get rid of them again.

Erika J.
on 5/16/13 5:30 am

I'm the same way. I get bored in the evenings watching the kids eat and I want to snack all the time. I'm going to get a bike this weekend and hopefully go for a ride when I get cravings.

(deactivated member)
on 5/16/13 6:06 am, edited 5/16/13 6:07 am

Yes, I believe for me that certain carbs or carb combos can unleash the carb monster in me. Once the beast is unleashed all Hell can break loose, too. Not always, but often enough. For me it was allowing myself to have an occasional cookie or piece of milk chocolate. I noticed before I finished eating even one cookie I was mentally reaching for the next. This happened with milk chocolate, too. Because of this very strong reaction in myself I have had to devise several plans of attack. 

First plan was not really even a plan. It was a "I'll just eat one or two plan" and stop there. Well, that was way too hard. So I had to abandon that plan.

Second plan was deciding to have a cookie, but planning an escape route. I would either eat a cookie and leave the area where the cookies were or I would take the cookie away and eat it away from where I could get more after I was done. This worked for a while, but it did nothing for the cravings! I'd still have cravings for the rest of the day. I also realize now that it wasn't a behavior that was forming a healthy relationship with the food.

Third plan was to really examine my "need" for these sweet carb-a-licious treats! This has worked very well. It led me to realize that eating these types of foods are not in my emotional best interest. They are not worth the price I must pay in cravings and loss of control. I am realizing more and more I do not NEED these foods in my life - not in the regularity in which they present themselves to me. I am in situations at least 3 to 5 times weekly in which I will have access to pastries and other baked goods.

So this third plan has led me to a contract with myself to abstain from these foods until June 10th. I have shared my contract with people who are important to me and offer me support in my WL efforts - both on OH and IRL. On the 10th I will reassess. And decide what I will do for the next bit of the near future. I have a vacation planned for the 11th - 18th and for a vacation I may ease up on my contract. Who knows.

Right now, having de-carbed and detoxed from a planned "sweet treat" last Friday, I am loving life. I feel very mu*****ontrol of my eating.

My advice is to really evaluate whether you need these foods in your life. Are they worth the price you are paying for them emotionally and in weight gain? Once you have your answer, set out a plan for yourself. If you need help, I am happy to offer what I can to help you be successful. I have gone through what you are dealing with and live it practically every day.

Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 134 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views