Slipped Lap Band removed in Feb after 3 years now on to VSG

aimz822
on 5/1/13 12:00 pm - Caledonia, NY
Revision on 01/14/14

Hi!  I had LapBand surgery in July of 2010 and lost 80+ pounds which I kept off nicely.  Never had a problem.  Feb 2013 my band slipped and after 10 days being unable to even swallow water, the band was removed.  I have gained 20 pounds and on my way to getting approved for the VSG (Psych eval and nutrition completed today as ridiculous as this seems to me....) I was very successful with the band and never would have had it removed ever....  My surgeon and I agree that the likelihood of another slippage with the band might be too much to risk.  I am proceeding with the VSG once insurance approval goes through.

Who can give me their experiences on similar situation?  I would like to know what to expect.  I am working hard at staying stable at the weight I am now until the VSG.  Kicking up the exercise (I already run 15-20 miles a week).

Kind of bummed....  feeling lost without my tool.  Have my port stil in which is a reminder everyday...

Amy

Ruthie7474
on 5/2/13 12:32 am - SD
Hi Amy. I just had a conversion done last Monday and I have to say I no longer have the pain in my chest from the band. I had a twist of my stomach and the band had to come out. I have absolutely no hunger and its difficult to sip protein shakes. They just taste too sweet. I'm trying to stay hydrated. The pain for me right after surgery is very much like having done a killer ab workout. That's he only way that accurately describes it I me any way. Just got home yesterday and I'm looking forward to new beginnings. Good luck!
danixbanani
on 5/2/13 3:24 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

I'm a revision and while I didn't have a slipped band, the band sure caused me misery.  Be glad you didn't have to live longer with the pain and suffering of the band.  Puking every day, getting stuck at every meal, a hiatel hernia, GERD, etc.  Now, life is normal with the sleeve.  The sleeve does everything the band is SUPPOSED to do.  The fact of the matter is most surgeons are moving away from the band as a procedure because of this very reason, the risks are too great and often times the weight loss isn't sufficient enough. 

You've done really great and that's awesome.  You are getting into this game with your feet running.  The sleeve is TOTALLY different lifestyle, you'll see!  I hope you enjoy it and have an easy recovery.  You will have to follow the post-op eating phases again which is a pain but it is so worth it and you don't want a leak from your staple line.  You can eat a normal meal once you're on solids just a much smaller portion and less hunger overall.  You will be satiated faster and longer.  Keep up the good work with exercising because it helps along the way!

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

band2sleeverevision
on 5/2/13 9:39 am
VSG on 02/25/13

Same situation here....I had a band since 2002 and it slipped last year (was fighting it for a year) and had a revision to the sleeve.  Your good band habits will go a long way towards success with the sleeve.

It was super hard for me to keep my weight stable while I was waiting.  It will come off once you get your sleeve but fight the good fight.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 307 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 353 views