Should I go walking if I'm only getting in 300 calories a day?

BREAZA
on 5/2/13 3:30 am
VSG on 04/24/13

I am just 8 days post op and am only able to get in about 300 calories a day and 60 gm of protein now. I want to start doing a 30-60 minute walk at least 4 days a week, but I'm afraid my calorie count is too low and might risk eating away at the minimal muscle I have. Any suggestions or was anyone in this situation? 

Deckeriv
on 5/2/13 3:33 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

Walking won't hurt you.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

MacMadame
on 5/2/13 4:03 am - Northern, CA

Your body isn't going to burn muscle if you have pounds and pounds of stored fat just sitting there dying to be used for energy.

Muscles get used for energy in two situations:

(1) when they aren't being used (and so they are surplus energy stores just like your fat)

(2) when there isn't anything else left (so it's better to use them than your organs)

If you used your muscles by walking, they are being used. If you have stored fat -- at least essential body fat --then you have another source of energy.

This isn't just my opinion, btw. It's been confirmed in studies, particularly studies on starvation. The reason people lose muscle mass when they diet is that they don't exercise so the body thinks "oh, here are some unused calories I can burn for energy".

Now, when you lose 100 pounds, it takes less muscles just to move your body around so *some* muscle mass loss is inevitable. But, if you don't need those muscles, then it's okay to lose them. If that makes sense. But at 8 days post-op you are SO FAR from this situation that it isn't even a consideration. Lose 50-100 pounds and then we can talk about the fine points of how much muscle mass you want to preserve (vs. how much is unnecessary mass) and the best way to do it.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

BREAZA
on 5/2/13 4:07 am
VSG on 04/24/13

Awesome! Thank you so much and it makes sense. Then I'll get my butt in gear and start walking as much as I can. The doctor did say I can't lift weights until at least 6 weeks out, but I will definitely start walking as of today. :)

MacMadame
on 5/2/13 4:59 am - Northern, CA

The lifting weights restriction is to avoid a hernia. mail

Missy30
on 5/2/13 4:11 am
VSG on 06/27/12

I walked when in the hospital did rounds around the floor.  Then when at home I walked outside about 20 to 30 min a day just in a the cult a sac in my neighborhood.  I was always told if its causing you pain then its too much.  This was just easy walks not treadmill or anything.  At 8 days out I was mostly on fluids didn't even keep track of anything else.  I think it would be fine for you to walk. 

BREAZA
on 5/2/13 4:13 am
VSG on 04/24/13

I've just never had an intake of 300 calories in my life so I was just a little worried, but what MacMadame posted made sense.

Jackie T.
on 5/2/13 4:31 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Yes, Yes, Yes.  The one thing that I hear from people who have had surgery is that they wish they had started exercising sooner and/or I wish I was exercising.  It is easier to start it now and make it a way of life as you are embarking on this journey. 

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

BREAZA
on 5/2/13 4:36 am
VSG on 04/24/13

I was up to jogging before my surgery and was going to the gym faithfully, but all has changed after the surgery and I'm just worried about everything. LOL

I'll make sure to take it slow, but will start walking every day until I build myself back to jogging again and then later incorporate weights once the doctor says it's okay.

MacMadame
on 5/2/13 4:59 am - Northern, CA

Also walking helps prevent blood clots.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 286 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 337 views