getting really discouraged

rbrown116
on 4/25/13 12:25 pm - IA
VSG on 08/08/13

Well.. this sucks. I need about $1600 upfront for my surgery, and they don't take payments. My boyfriend doesn't have a job, his unemployment is running out in a few weeks, and he's been turned down for jobs all over town. I've applied for two part-time jobs (on top of my full time job) and haven't gotten anything. I have terrible credit, can't get a private loan, I've tapped out my parents for other stuff and they can't help me. I got rejected from Care Credit, and my credit cards are tapped out. 

How the (bleep) am I going to be able to do this? :( I just want to cry.. 

HW: 330lbs, SW: 307.2, GW: 140lbs
Surgery: VSG  Date: August 8th, 2013
Month 1-25.6, Month 2-13.8

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

loverofcats
on 4/25/13 12:30 pm

Sounds like you need to get your other credit cards paid down, so that you have room left on them, which will improve your credit score. 

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

sevencats
on 4/25/13 2:46 pm

Do you have anything of value to sell??  There's always ebay, consignment shops, etc.  Or have an additional room so that you might be able to take in a roommate?

I also saw a post in the past couple weeks about someone getting a loan from prosper.com.  It's a "peer to peer" lending site; the interest rates vary depending on credit score, so it sounds like you'd be paying a high rate to borrow. 

Or do you have anything like a 401K or insurance policy that you can borrow from???  Or something like a paid off vehicle that you could use as collateral for a loan?  Or do you have a job where you might be able to cash out some vacation?

Of course, the problem with all the borrowing options is that you have to pay the loan back.  :-)  And it sounds like your household income is looking to go down rather than up in the near future...  Is your local economy improving enough that it is reasonable to expect that one or the other of you will be able to get a job and pay off a loan? 

These are the kind of things I've considered to bring in a little additional cash...I hope it helps.

Good luck!

Nikke2003
on 4/25/13 10:07 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I don't know what kind of skills, education, and experience you have... but for the past couple of years I have done a lot of freelance work by getting jobs on a site called elance.com. It's been a money maker for me; however, it can depend on what kind of work you do!

I wish you the best of luck!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

kitsyb
on 4/26/13 6:51 am - Mobile, AL
VSG on 01/23/12

Have you checked into getting Medicaid.  I work at the University of South Alabama and we do the surgery with Medicaid covering the cost and in some cases Medicare.

sleevegirl
on 4/26/13 8:44 am - Austin, TX

When there's a will, there's a way... just sit down with your budget and see what you can do. Nothing is ever hopeless. I was cash pay and paid part of up front and used Care Credit for part of it. It can be a strain on our finances each month, but I make it work because I'm worth it.

You are too.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 102 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 325 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 369 views