VSG Binder of Weight Loss Journey

BREAZA
on 4/16/13 3:23 am, edited 4/16/13 4:25 am
VSG on 04/24/13

So I'm about to be sleeved on 4/25/13 and would like to create a binder for my journey. I've done some extensive research and have lots of information to put together and just want to make sure I am not missing anything. I figured a binder would be a good quick to-go source for me as well as for my family. As of now my tabs are the following:

• Pre-Op Diet
  • Post-Op Diet
  • Hospital Checklist
  • Vitamins
  • Protein
  • Skin Regime
  • Before Pictures
  • After Pictures

Is there anything else you suggest I add as a tab for my binder that would be important?

datachick
on 4/16/13 3:26 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

I suggest you make an Excel spreadsheet or just a piece of paper, for directly after surgery. Every day, every thing you drink, write down the ounces to make sure you drink enough. Sipping 2-3 ounces at a time is an irritating thing to keep track of, but it's important to be sure you are getting enough protein and liquids. The first coupla days you will drink less than what they want you to, but their plan is aggressive. Eventually you will be up to what they want. But if you don't keep track, you will be "guessing" and "assuming" that you are getting enough.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

BREAZA
on 4/16/13 3:49 am
VSG on 04/24/13

Excellent suggestion! Is there an app for WLS patients so that we can log our protein, water, and calorie intake daily via our cell phone? I'll also keep track on Excel. Thanks!

datachick
on 4/16/13 4:05 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

Um, My Fitness Pal? Maybe you could spend some time in the forum reading around for ideas before you have surgery. The days after surgery are not the time to be investigating your new life and processes!

I only used the Excel/piece of paper thing during I'd say the two weeks after surgery because it was keeping track of miniscule ounces of liquids and I also tracked to be sure I ate all my vitamins, and I certainly didn't feel up to tracking in my phone when I was post-surgery; i could just roll over and put a checkmark next to another 2 ounces of liquid. I used MFP for the two months leading up to surgery, then my excel sheet that I printed out, then back to MFP when I started eating food again.

GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

BREAZA
on 4/16/13 4:20 am
VSG on 04/24/13

I haven't had surgery yet and actually have been doing quite a bit of research for about a year now. I'm only doing my final preparations before surgery now such as my binder. Figured I'd ask for some suggestions in case I may have missed anything...one just never knows. After gathering all this information, there is a possibility I may have missed something that someone else might point out. I should have been more specific as to phone apps because I'm aware of MFP, Spark People, The Daily Plate, Fit Day to name a few, but what was referring to if there is any specific bariatric app out there that is a bit more tailored towards someone having weight loss surgery. I'll have my iPad with me the day of surgery, but not sure if I'll have the energy to log in so I might resort to a piece of paper to track my input. :)

datachick
on 4/16/13 4:38 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

Start using an app now! It'll help you get over a lot of mental hurdles prior to surgery.

GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

Sheryl G.
on 4/16/13 4:42 am - IL
VSG on 09/17/12

i have a tab where i keep tips from the vets.

If you change nothing, nothing will change.      

tia47
on 4/16/13 4:48 am - cleve, OH
Pre op measurements...very impt.

Tia
BREAZA
on 4/16/13 5:02 am
VSG on 04/24/13

You see! I didn't think of that one...I was so concerned about preparing for my new life after the surgery that I completely forgot about getting my measurements before the surgery. Good one - thanks!

missthingg
on 4/16/13 5:55 am - memphis, TN
I think this is a good idea. I would think you would need to log your calories or just your meals period. Just what you ate and how much. But I think this is good!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 98 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views