30-Day Squat Challenge

BREAZA
on 4/10/13 4:57 am, edited 4/10/13 6:23 am
VSG on 04/24/13

Here's something to get your booty toned and lifted! I found it on Facebook and am now on Day 3. You can REALLY feel it, but like that it's low impact and doesn't require weights. I hope I can continue it soon after my VSG surgery soon.

ParisGirl
on 4/10/13 7:16 am
VSG on 04/25/13

Squats require core muscles and I don't think you'll be doing these for at least 4-6 weeks after surgery.  I could be wrong.  Most surgeons don't clear folks for anything but walking before 6 weeks.

But so great you are getting on the bandwagon now!!! :-)

BREAZA
on 4/10/13 7:23 am, edited 4/10/13 7:24 am
VSG on 04/24/13

Gosh I feel like 4-6 weeks is too much time to waste. LOL I know, I know...I need to give my body enough time to recuperate, but I am so ready to get this journey going and do what it takes to lose this wait and maintain it. Can't wait to feel and look good! I've found that I love to jog and even with my current weight I'm managing 2.11 miles in 30 minutes. Not the best time of course, but I'm jogging! :)

Julie L.
on 4/10/13 8:52 am - Montreal, Canada
VSG on 11/08/12

I would think you'd get more results by increasing the weights on your squats rather than just increasing the reps.

BREAZA
on 4/10/13 9:14 am, edited 4/10/13 9:14 am
VSG on 04/24/13

I looked it up and found the following. Both options are beneficial and think it all depends on the look you're going for.

“Resistance can come from the weight of the body itself or from an external source. Muscles can display improvement in a number of ways, including increased size, strength, endurance, stability and flexibility. Using higher repetition sets in resistance training is traditionally associated with improving muscular endurance, while higher weight and lower repetitions are traditionally used for increasing muscle size and strength, generally known as "hypertrophy." More advanced resistance training, such as that for competitive weightlifting, may include very heavy weight with very low repetitions; this is generally used for developing power.

Many people, especially women, tend to shy away from resistance training with significant amounts of weight for fear of "bulking up." In truth, most women's hormone composition prevents them from achieving drastic increases in muscle size through basic resistance training. Even for men, a more tailored, extensive training program that includes appropriate nutritional components is usually needed where significant hypertrophy is the goal.”

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/50624-reps-vs.-weight/#ixz z2Q6ZofhyE

Julie L.
on 4/10/13 11:44 am - Montreal, Canada
VSG on 11/08/12

If you're going for "tone" though,  I figure you want to increase the size of your muscle,  so that's why I figured you'd want to add weights,  not reps.   I mean sure you could do a million squats and it'll make you very good at doing squats,  but it won't really change your muscle since your muscle will quickly adapt to it.

BREAZA
on 4/11/13 1:49 am
VSG on 04/24/13

I kind of want to do both although you make a great point that if I want muscle I will need to add weights.

evie32
on 4/10/13 12:05 pm - fresno, CA

im doing the challenge im on day 15!

BREAZA
on 4/11/13 1:50 am
VSG on 04/24/13

Way to go!! I'm behind you. :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question