Portable Scales

jpsp30
on 3/25/13 9:40 am - TN

Folks; do any of you take a scale with you if you eat out? If so; which one do you use?

Jeff - Located in East Tennessee; Surgery by Dr. Mark Colquitt on 4/12/2013

Highest Weight- 511; Initial Consultation Weight - 474; Surgery Weight 450    

mokee
on 3/25/13 9:46 am - OH

I am 4months post op and can pretty well eyeball 3 ozs.   My stomach also tells me when it is enough.

jpsp30
on 3/25/13 10:18 am - TN

I suppose my stomach may help. But, I don't trust my own judgment in this area!

hollykim
on 3/25/13 10:25 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

3 oz dense protein is about the size of a deck of cards and ,um, takiing a scale to restaurants is a bit,well,much,KWIM? you will learn to eyeball.

jpsp30
on 3/25/13 11:40 am - TN

I was worried about awkwardness, but at this point they either look at my size or a scale! So, *****ally cares. ;-)

mokee
on 3/25/13 10:32 am - OH

Have you been sleeved yet?  First off you will not be eating out much at the beginning.   You will be on liquids for 1-2 weeks.  Then 2  weeks of mushy food.  You need a digital scale at this point for at home.  My DIL bought mine for me but it would not be easy to take to a restaurant.  Take my word for it by the time you even want to go out and eat you will be able to judge by sight or by the way you feel.  Soup is always a good choice (not creamed) at the beginning.

i hope I have helped you.  It is such a different way of life after WLS.   I still can only eat a very small amount at a meal.   Nothing like before.

jpsp30
on 3/25/13 11:46 am - TN

My surgery is on the 12th of April. I have mixed emotions about this; but am committed to the process. Just trying to think ahead a bit.

Kelly-AnneH
on 3/25/13 11:54 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I HAVE a small digital scale I bought at Lee Valley Tools (I also use it to weigh yarn) with thoughts of using it while eating out. In reality I've learned what my portion looks like (chicken or fish 1/2 an iPhone, veg about the same, salad perhaps twice that) and put the rest of my meal into a takeaway container up front.

Some great options while out: side salad with grilled chicken or salmon. Cup of a hearty soup. Bowl of a broth-based soup - leave the noodles behind. Side portion of grilled fish with a side of steamed veg. (I love the side dish section of the menu)

I don't generally find appetizers useful, since (here at least) they tend to be heavy, greasy or overly starchy. (And I'm not a low carber)

When running around town my choices are quite different. We have lots of pita places here - I order a medium chicken pita, have it cut in half and eat the inside of one of those halves. KFC - a single mini filet is a Fred-ful with 110 calories and 10g protein. Starbucks - skinny latte or yogurt cup - ignore the rest of the "food" case. Mexican - I buy a single fish taco and eat what I can/want of the inside.

Easier than that - I keep either a Quest bar or a tuna kit in my bag all the time.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

jpsp30
on 3/25/13 12:55 pm - TN

Thanks. Good info. Especially the iPhone reference. My hands are big, so to use my hand is not a good idea. But, an iPhone is pretty consistent. If you are not low carb; why do not eat the shell on a taco or the pita bread?

Kelly-AnneH
on 3/25/13 1:21 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Excellent question.

I start with the filling, and if I had space I wouldn't feel any guilt about eating the pita or shell, but reality is that by the time I'm done the filling Fred is happy and the outside isn't especially interesting.

I plan 150-200 calories for a meal, and half of my favourite pita fits that perfectly, but the veggies are pretty filling. The other half generally becomes an after work snack for my husband.

I also buy a small tray of California rolls on my way to knitting group sometimes. I order my tea (we meet at Starbucks) eat 2-3 small rolls and the pickled ginger (my favourite part) and "somebody" finishes the rest of the tray for me.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 300 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 347 views