hoping for a revision from band to sleeve...advice?

reddhedgrl
on 3/3/13 7:03 am

Hi...I am 2 years out from my band..with lots of complications & minimal (12lb weight loss in 2 years) Can anyone explain in layman terms the difference in the sleeve vs band (other than the obvious surgical difference) like eating what to avoid etc? Or just any advice is welcome! Thank you

mary d
on 3/3/13 7:17 am

The recommended diet is exactly the same, only with the sleeve your can actually eat the lean protein and veggies.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

band2sleeve_2012
on 3/3/13 7:57 am

Do your research -- but I will say I am so happy I did a band to sleeve revision !   Sleeve actually is everything the band was promised to be. 

5'6"     HW+SW 300      CW 214      GW 170 
                                        Lap Band Removed 1/16/2012  Sleeved 4/24/2012          

pineview01
on 3/3/13 8:36 am - Davison, MI

With the sleeve You have your natural valves intake going in and out.  The part of the stomach removed produces a lot of the hungry hormone.  With the band you have a mechanical valve controlling the food going into your stomach.  The body doesn't like that mechanical valve.  The food sits there and backs up into your esophagus.  With the sleeve you have restriction right from the surgery.  The band is months out getting filled.  Than unfilled when it gets to tight.  Your stomach is a living organ and changes with stress, water retention and other issues. The band is man made and doesn't go with the flow.

Four weeks out I was at the low weight that I reached with the band in almost 4 years.  Instant restriction.

I wish I had the sleeve four years ago!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

gorditabonita
on 3/3/13 8:38 am - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with

The main difference for you me is that restriction is right away - no waiting for fills. My restriction is also more constant. With my band, I could not tolerate anything before noon. With the sleeve, I am also not "hungry" until about noon, but I can tolerate my shakes in the morning. Also, my "hungry" feeling is very different - it is like an emptiness. No growling, no pangs....just a light message that it's time to eat. I could easily go even longer without eating, though.

No vomiting/PBing like with my band. And, no food intolerances. I can eat eggs and white meat chicken with my sleeve. Hopefully, once I get past mushies, I will be able to eat fruit and raw veggies. Both of those were very difficult for my to eat with my band.

With my sleeve, I finally feel like I have a chance to get to my original goal - 150. And, the band is no longer wreaking havoc inside my body! I am so happy that I went through with everything.

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 392 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 423 views