Weight Gain

tracey trowbridge
on 2/25/13 9:15 pm

Hi, I am almost 4 years out from my vsg. I just quit smoking in Sept. and gained 20 lbs.  I feel like I can eat a lot at one sitting. Any helpful suggestions to help me those these extra pounds. I am scared I am going to gain all my weight back.  I have started exercising . But I do feel hungry all the time.

Thanks, Tracey

downhome
on 2/25/13 9:48 pm
Did You have any problems with weight gain before you stopped smoking? When people stop smoking their sense of taste improves so food taste better. If weight gain was not an issue before you kicked the habit then I would start to track my food and eat protein first. I would also find something to do with my hands.....like knit.
(deactivated member)
on 2/25/13 10:23 pm - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12

Gaining weight after quitting smoking is very normal! I gained 20 lbs right away within less than 2 months when I quit smoking. I agree, you're going to have to exercise more now that you're not smoking because your metabolism was boosted when you were smoking. Just add in an extra 30 minutes of exercise a few days a week to try to help get it off! Good luck

loverofcats
on 2/25/13 11:41 pm, edited 2/25/13 11:41 pm

Food tracking, to find where you are at, nutrient and calorie wise.

weigh and measure your food, so that you can become familiar with portion size again. Limit dense protein to 3 ounces and don't graze during the daytime and at night.

exercise, including weight training,

lean protein and green veggies,

cut out simple carbs, including chips, sweets, etc.

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 398 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views