Need advice from all my WEST COAST friends..

Brittany R.
on 1/21/13 5:40 am

So, my husband has been offered a job in Phoenix, AZ and we would be relocating from Columbia, SC. I have lived in South Carolina my entire life and of course I want to support him but I've never visited the west coast. Of course I know the  Arizona is Hot well yeah so is South Carolina. The heat isn't going to change anything. I have a 6yr old and a 3yr old. My family is already freaking out and telling us we are selfish to take the kids 2100 miles away where we know NO ONE. Yes it's a difficult decision but we have already faced a $6 pay decrease since July and beginning Feb 28th they are decreasing his pay another $5/hr. We can't live on that little of money.... What should I do? Any advice is welcome :)

nieba
on 1/21/13 5:49 am - Rialto, CA
VSG on 09/04/12 with

There are times when I have had to face a similar decision or at least come close to that. One thing my Mom (who moved her family from Michigan to California) said to me, although it will be hard and we will miss you, but you have to do what is best for you and your family.

Good Luck to you!

Jennifer B.
(Can't wait to meet the new me!)

HW: 288  SW: 270.2   CW: 199.8  GW: 170-180   Hgt: 5'10" 

GettingFitBy40
on 1/21/13 6:13 am - Antioch, CA

Hi There!

Here's my 2 cents worth.  A lot of people are scared of change but change is good.  You and your husband need to do what's best for YOUR family meaning, You, Him and your 2 kids.  No one else.  You make the best of what opportunities you face.  And guess what?  What's the worst thing to happen?  You move, he's working and try to make it work. If it isn't, then while he has a job, he begins to look for another job.  You and your kids could always go back to SC to visit family and friends as well as them going to AZ to visit you all.

I am going through something similar.  I moved to CA 5 years ago.  Pre Hubby and Son! Best decision I've made even though I do miss my family.  I am fortunate though where I work from home and my son is 2 so he and I jet set for 3-4 weeks at a time 3-4 times per year to see my family.  They come out here too but it's easier for us to go.  I miss my best friends like crazy but we Skype too.  I would love to raise my son with my family and friends since I am not close to my husband's family but this is where we are for now and enjoying it

Best wishes in your family's decision!

Jennifer

Jennifer

HRW : 268 | CW: 260 | SW: needs to be 230 or less | GW: 135 | VSG in 2013!

KathyA999
on 1/21/13 6:30 am

(PHX isn't on the *coast*, precisely.)  I think the main difference between East and West is the humidity - there practically isn't any here in the West - at least by comparison to the East.  So a lot fewer bugs.  PHX will be very, very hot - up to 110, 112 degrees at times - for a few months out of the year, not sure if it gets that hot in South Carolina.  The housing market in PHX is pretty affordable right now compared to Southern California, I was looking at possibly buying a retirement home there (but decided on Las Vegas area).  PHX does have a bit of a smog problem because of the heat, just like SoCal.

I suspect your family is more concerned about losing regular contact with the little kidlets.  You, on the other hand, will likely make new friends quickly through their schoolmates' parents.   The only risk might be how permanent the new job would be.  You'd hate to move across the country, only to find out that the new job didn't work out.  However, the economy is picking up, and jobs are becoming more available.

I wish you luck!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Linda B.
on 1/21/13 2:54 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

I say you need to do what you need to do. DH, DS, & I are in the high desert of So-Cal, my DD, SIL, & the kids were in the Phoenix area for a long time. SIL moved the family there for a good job. We got to see the grandchildren almost every 3-day weekend. Then SIL got laid off (he was in construction) when the housing bubble burst. They are all now in the northeastern corner on Montana. No more 3-day weekends, it takes 3 days just to drive there. But, SIL has a good job to take care of his family. Of course we miss them, but he had to go where there was work. To stay in touch, we use Skype, and we get to visit twice a year so far. We also call a lot & use Facebook for photos.

As for the Phoenix area, it is hot and dry unless it is monsoon season. Winter is pretty warm, just a light jacket is usually needed. The city is huge and you must be careful about the neighborhood you choose to move into. Traffic also stinks. Be careful, the freeway system can be a bit tricky until you learn your way around.

Because you are used to high humidity, the dryness of AZ will take some adjusting. You will most likely go through lots of lotion. You should also inspect any prospective home for signs of roaches or scorpions. DD had an orange tree that scorpions took over.

Now some good stuff...there is nothing like a desert sunset, a photo just can't capture how lovely it really is. Spas, golf, and shopping are great. As I write this, I find myself missing my visits to the city. I hope everything works out for you.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

(deactivated member)
on 1/21/13 4:04 pm - CO

I lived in the Phoenix area for about 14 years. It is a great area and we always planned our vacations in the summer months to somewhere not as hot....also most treat the summer like other states treat the winter months..you stay indoors more or in the pool (although with young children  pools are not the best idea and are expensive to maintain). I had all 4 of my children while there. There are a lot of great things about the area and remember cooler weather and snow are only a few hours away for example Flagstaff. But most important kids are very resilient and will adjust quicker than you can imagine. Do what is best for your family...just because you move doesn't mean you are there forever. BTW everyone always wanted to come visit when we were there to get out of the cold.....the winter months are perfect weather and beautiful. Good Luck

Sleeveless
on 1/21/13 5:14 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

On the bright side, Phoenix does have good direct flights on America West, so your family wont feel as cut off as they might if you were in a non-hub city.

The economy is tough, and you have to do what's right for your family right now.

Brittany R.
on 1/21/13 7:21 pm
Thanks everyone. We live out early February and will make our final decision at that time. Sometimes it's hard to accept change. This has been an eventful year. On the plus side I am 42lbs down since October. Losing slowly but steady.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 403 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 431 views