surgery on tues & i need some help plz...

Toni310
on 1/20/13 4:46 am - Toms River, NJ
VSG on 01/22/13

Hi my name is Toni & i have been on this site for months now just reading ppls posts & seeing ppls progress & pics but i have never posted anythin myself..so im havin the sleeve done on tues Jan 22..i am very scared about the surgery it self and the after life change i will have to make..im sure i will do fine during surgery honestly im more scared about gettin that stupid IV & being put under then anything else..i am hopin & prayin i have a easy surgery as i have read some ppl do have and others r so sick..im hopin im one of the lucky ones who isnt sick..i have not done any pre-op diet which i am very mad at myself about, and my dr didnt ask for me to do it..i will do liquids tomorrow until surgery..i am currently weighing 333lbs and im hopin to lose close to 170-200lbs one can hope rite..lol..so i am goin to do my shoppin for post-op today..apple juice,water,sugar free jello & ice pops, broth and protein shakes..plz help wit any other foods and things u think i should have..my dr has not been so helpful as to explainin the diet stages to me..so anyone who has done this and can help i would appreciate it so much..wish me luck..hope to hear from u all soon..take care & thanks for readin my post...

LNC62
on 1/20/13 4:51 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12

Since you have to drink liquids, you might want to try a few different protein shakes now so that you know which ones you like and don't like.  I find the Unjury, Syntrax and Healthwise protein shakes to be the best ones.  I don't know if they are sold in any stores.  I get them online. You might want to rethink apple juice since it is a lot of sugar. Good luck to you.  You'll be fine.

Toni310
on 1/20/13 4:54 am - Toms River, NJ
VSG on 01/22/13

thanks so much..yes u r rite about apple juice..do u supermarkets sell these protein shakes or do i need a health food store...

nmcmanus66
on 1/20/13 5:52 am - CA

hey toni - i'm right there with you. i go in tomorrow morning and i'm a mess right now. i'm crying and just a bundle of nerves. i'm certain we'll be alright it's just the what it's and god forbid leaving my daughters. oh my god i'm so freaking myself out.

we will be find and i'll be checking on you when i get home!! be strong, we CAN do this!!

Toni310
on 1/20/13 8:28 am - Toms River, NJ
VSG on 01/22/13
Good luck thanks for writin ill ne prayin for u..im so upset i have to my 4 kids also..let me kno how u do..
AppyGrl
on 1/20/13 7:14 am
VSG on 01/23/13

I will be right behind you with surgery on Wednesday. Just a tidbit of what my doc says is that  all store bought fruit juices should be avoided. 

best wishes for a speedy and healthy recovery!mail

Toni310
on 1/20/13 8:30 am - Toms River, NJ
VSG on 01/22/13
Good luck to u as well..i bought protein shakes atkins hope i like them i also got some gaterade n sugar free jello..
AppyGrl
on 1/20/13 11:02 am
VSG on 01/23/13

I am sooo jealous!!!! I love the adkins shakes especially the mocha. HOWEVER... my doc makes me do the OptiFast... Nasty with a side of cardboard. LOL

Kelly-AnneH
on 1/20/13 1:28 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
During the first couple of weeks I was allowed diluted unsweetened fruit juices such as apple and cranberry - no citrus. I'd put an ounce of juice in a glass and fill it with cold filtered water. That went down way better than other things I tried like Crystal Light (still can't drink it - instant reflux that lasts for hours and tastes awful)

A friend gave me a couple of packets of sf Hawaiian Punch to try and it went down well. I make it at half strength and really enjoy it.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

pineview01
on 1/20/13 2:44 pm, edited 1/20/13 2:45 pm - Davison, MI

Hi Toni I will be getting my sleeve Tuesday also.  Your Doctor didn't have you do any diet before at all?  They didn't give you anything to follow after either?  Shame on them.

I was on a 2 week liver shrinking diet.  But, that is water under the bridge.  Tomorrow I have to have 7 clear protein drinks.  Mine came in a kit but, They have isopure at GNC.

As for after, I have been stocking up on protein drinks from online, many already mentioned.  But as you only have tomorrow to get some, you can get EAS whey powder and Premier Protein at Wal-mart/Sams/Costco.  Atkins works but, there are some higher protein choices.  Also they get pricey when we have to have three a day for the first two weeks and than 1-2 a day for a long time if not forever.

Here is our shopping list for week 1-2.  The whole first part is drinks pre-post op

• Before & after
  • Protein drink
  • Low sodium broth
  • Crystal light
  • Propel
  • Minute maid light
  • Fruit2O
  • Diet Snapple
  • Diet Kool-aid
  • Welch' low cal drinks (diet)
  • Sugar free gelatin
  • Decaf coffee/tea
  • Diet V-8 splah
  • Herbal teas
  • Any flavored non-carbonated flavored water (ex: Aquafina)
  • Sobee lean sugar free
  • Sugar-free Hawaiian punch
  • Kellogg protein water mix
  • Sugar free popsicles
  • Fat-free milk or lactose free/light soy milk
  • AFTER
  • Cream soups, strain or blend
  • Light/low sugar yogurt, under 20 grams of sugar
  • Cream of wheat/instant oatmeal, thinned Quaker weight control is good
  • Low fat cottage cheese or low fat ricotta small curd.

I hope this helps some.  Didn't you see a Nut or are you going to after surgery?  If you want to talk or more info, PM me.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 320 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 365 views