Gallbladder removal after VSG

charleenc
on 1/13/13 9:36 am - Canada

I had VSG in October 2011 and started having gallbladder issues in August 2012. The attacks started out lasting 10 to 20 min then as time went on started lasting hours. After an ultrasound confirmed gllstones I had it removed last week. I never had issues prior to VSG and wondered how common this is?  I am finding it hard to keep food down. So far only things that sit are toast and oatmeal. Chicken breasts gave me the runs. Anyone have any advise?

frisco
on 1/13/13 9:55 am

Were you ever prescribed Ursodiol or Actigal after your VSG?????

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

charleenc
on 1/13/13 10:39 am - Canada
Was never prescribed anything after my surgery. Jus****ched my diet and ate very healthy. Was surprised when I started to get the attacks.
band2sleeve_2012
on 1/13/13 11:24 am

I had VSG in April 2012. My surgeon prescribed Ursodiol which I took as directed.  Five months later in September 2012 found several gallstones over 2cm in size in my gallbladder (accidently discovered during MRI for different issue).  Gallbladder removed in October 2012.  

I have not had any food issues to speak of - however, I was rather constipated after VSG and prior to gallbladder removal and gallbladder removal seemed to have resolved that issue (self diagnosis that they are related).  

Will never know if I already had the gallstones prior to VSG or if gallstones developed post-VSG.

Good luck !  

5'6"     HW+SW 300      CW 214      GW 170 
                                        Lap Band Removed 1/16/2012  Sleeved 4/24/2012          

guesswho11
on 1/13/13 12:35 pm

My surgery was in July 2011, and I was prescribed Actigal.  I began having minor discomfort in May or of last year.  The episodes became more and more painful, until I thought I was having a heart attack and took a ride in an ambulance!  Once I was diagnosed with gallstones, my dr said I needed to have mine removed asap.  I had it removed in October (about 2 weeks after my last attack).  I haven't had any of the diarrhea issues that many say they've had...no problems whatsoever.  It was also the easiest recovery from surgery that I've ever had...and I've had a few.

hwag5149
on 1/13/13 2:46 pm

Your story is just like mine. Had mine removed a month ago. Started out with short attacks then hours at a time and thought I was dying. EVERYTHING gives me the runs!

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

Crabadams72
on 1/13/13 9:38 pm - Silver Spring, MD
Gallbladder issues are common(ESP in women) w rapid weight loss. I had stones before VSG and my gallbladder was removed at the same time.

Start out w bland foods, soups and eventually your body will adjust but give it time. Your liver has to do what the gallbladder used to do.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 245 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 313 views