Anxiety/depression meds after surgery

PoohHag
on 1/9/13 2:04 am - TN
VSG on 06/11/12

I have been on anti-depressants off and on for many years.  I've been on my current one for about a year now.  I'm almost 7 months out from surgery now, and my anxiety has been steadily increasing the last 2 months.  At first I thought it was the holidays making my anxiety rise, but it's still there.

Anyone have to increase their meds after weight loss?  I kind of thought I would need less due to the changes in body weight, but I'm getting increasingly uncomfortable at this level.

tlpldy
on 1/9/13 2:43 am, edited 1/9/13 2:43 am

I would think it is less likely that your medication is not working as well, as the anxiety is worsening.  I see from your ticker that you are pretty close to goal, and you said you are seven months out.  Maybe you are getting a bit anxious about the major changes you have made, the weight left to lose, how being thin is effecting your life?? 

Weight loss surgery can bring up a multitude of psychological issues.  I would suggest getting into counseling to see if you can pinpoint any stress inducing thoughts you may be having due to the weight loss.  An increase in anti-depressants often leads to a permanent increase, as well as going on and off of them leads to increases each time you restart. 

The only thing I will say as a HUGE warning is this......I would NOT suggest using benzodiazepines (xanax, ativan, etc) to manage your anxiety at this point.  They can be highly addictive and you are already at an increased risk for transfer addiction.  People dont' tend to take benzo addiction seriously, and trust me, from the experience of someone very close to me.  Benzo addiction is very difficult to beat and much more uncomfortable than the current anxiety you are having. 

Just my two cents worth.

PoohHag
on 1/9/13 3:29 am - TN
VSG on 06/11/12

I think the anxiety may be worsening too.  I've been facing more of what got me to 303 pounds in the first place.  And did you realize that weight loss surgery doesn't fix the rest of your life?  LOL  Just teasing, I knew that deep down, but facing it is harder than I thought.

I'm very wary of benzos.  I have a small bottle of xanax leftover from when I was having post-partum panic attacks 10 years ago.  I only took one in December and that's it.  They are tempting though.

I'm getting my regular bloodwork done in 2 weeks, so I'll see then if something has changed with my thyroid or if I've developed a vitamin deficiency that could be causing this.  Otherwise, it really might be time for some counseling.  

Thank you for replying.  I was feeling kind of lost today.

lose4good2012
on 1/9/13 3:38 am

I have been taking Lexapro for many years, and just recently needed to add Wellbutrin in the AM.  Not due to anxiety, but inability to concentrate.  It has worked wonders.  I do however take Xanax as needed, and have for over 15 years.  I do not find it addictive at all.  Only take when I need.....probably 5 times a month, usually around my period.  Don't be afraid to try adding Xanax to help with anxiety.  It works extremely well.  JMO

Surgery date 06-25-12
6 month update...lost 70 lbs so far!    

thinnersinner
on 1/9/13 3:49 am
Whatever you and your doctor decide on, look up the drug yourself. I learned this the hard way...12 years later and I still haven't been able to go off my effexor. It gives me the worst symptoms when I go lower than 75 mg. Had I known that, I would have discussed alternatives.

PoohHag
on 1/9/13 7:35 am - TN
VSG on 06/11/12

Never tried that one, but Paxil did that to me.  I was miserable getting off that one and transfering to Zoloft.

tlpldy
on 1/9/13 5:17 am

ugh, I hate effexor.  I took it for about six months and requested the dr. change due to severe nightmares and being dizzy....what a side effect to have???  Nightmares..i didn't have anxiety when I was awake anymore, but sheesh...

I have tried most everything and I find that Paxil works the best for me.  Everyone reacts differently to SSRIs. 

If the one you are taking isnt' working you can try an alternative.  They are all similar, bu tthey do have different side effects and everyone reacts to them differently.  I found that  Lexapro made me gain weight (hungry all the time), Zoloft worked, but not as well as others, effexor I already mentioned, wellbutrin is good for depression and concentration, but can worsen anxiety. 

Like was mentioned, research your meds, know what you are taking and what your alternatives are for it. 

PoohHag
on 1/9/13 7:35 am - TN
VSG on 06/11/12

Definitely research your meds.  Most I've tried have been okay, but some are harder than others to get off of.  I thought I would DIE getting off of Paxil (which was the first med I was on long-term).  Buspar did nothing for me at all.  I was on Zoloft for many years, but it eventually stopped working for me at ever increasing dosages.  

I'm on Lexapro currently.  Celexa was good too.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 162 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 435 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 456 views