ONE WEEK POST OP

pointbeach
on 12/26/12 10:36 pm - NJ

HI SLEEVERS I AM ONE WEEK POST OP. AND STILL FEEL ALOT OF INCISIONAL PAIN, MY SURGEON SAYS I SHOULDNT NEED PAIN MEDICINE ANYMORE. I THOUGHT HE WAS CRAZY. MAYBE  I AM DOIND TO MUCH/? AT NIGHT I HAVE A TON OF GAS AND FEEL VERY BLOATED  WHICH CAUSES ALOT OF INCISIONAL PAIN.

I HAD A GREEK YOGURT LAST NIGHT AND AFTER WORDS I HAD A LOT OF DISCOMFORT VERY DISTENDED AND BLOATED. HOW ARE PEOPLE DOING ONE WEEK POST OP WITH PAIN,AND WHAT ARE PEOPLE EATING.

I THINK I AM GOING TO STICK TO CLEAR SOUPS AND JELLO AND START PROTEIN SHAKES TODAY.

I GUESS THIS IS A SLOW PROCESS

KnitsByMama
on 12/26/12 10:43 pm - MO
VSG on 10/16/12

You are right, for some people it IS a slow process. I was one of those. Focus on your liquids and make sure you get those in before you worry about yogurt. I was on liquids for 2 weeks after surgery. The pain varies as well, I have a high pain tolerance so I was off the pain meds after about 4 or 5 days. Make sure you are up and walking as much as you can. It will help with the gas, bloat & the pain! Push through. You can do it!

ShootForTheMoon
on 12/26/12 10:46 pm
VSG on 12/20/12 with

Hello! I'm exactly one week post op today :). My incisions haven't been too bad, I still have soreness around the two biggest ones and they definitely hurt if I over extend myself. Mostly they just twinge when I'm pulling myself up from laying in bed or sitting, though I try to buffer that by holding a pillow to my stomach to give them some support. 

As far as the diet, I'm still on clear liquids, though I get to start "full liquids" today. This includes drinkable yogurt with no chunks (thinner than regular yogurt) cream based soups (the 98% fat free ones) and even chunky soups that have been blended down to just liquid. My surgeon is pretty conservative when it comes to eating post up, which I really like. I've had barely any pain at all and the only time I do have it is when I drink too fast and do it to myself. (I've done that twice now and the first time was actually with my liquid antibiotic. That was terrible.) I've learned my lesson and am just ultra careful now. Maybe try and thin out the greek yogurt for now and work your way up to the full thick yogurt.

Good luck!

Height: 5'8

Auveca
on 12/26/12 11:06 pm - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/27/12
The sooner you get off the meds, the better. When I quit them the pain was intense, but only for a day or two. I was in pain until day 15, when I was in the shower shaving and realized I felt like myself, like a switch had been flipped. It was like magic. It does get better, fluids for now!

pointbeach
on 12/26/12 11:11 pm - NJ

OH DRINKABLE YOUGURT SOUNDS BETTER, MUCH THINNER, MY DOCTORS OFFICE IS CLOSED FOR THE WEEK BUT I AM GOING TO HAVE TO CALL ANYWAY,

SO  TODAY I AM GOING TO START MY PROTEIN SHAKES IM GETIING MINE AT GNC WHAT ONES ARE YOU GUYS DRINKING

AND I AM GOING TOSTART WALKING MORE

IS ANYONE TAKING TUMS/

THANKS

Sarah W.
on 12/26/12 11:17 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/27/12
I had a lot more pain than I thought I would, I purchased one of those support bands because my large incision was causing me a lot more pain than I was prepared for. And I have had 2 c-sections.

This passed, for me, by 2.5 weeks out and continually got better after the first week.

Do take your pain medication and measure out what you are supposed to be drinking and walk as much as possible. Your pain meds will help with the walking you need to do to heal.

Best of luck. I wouldn't eat yogurt again until you've had more time to heal.

Sarah 5'3" VSG 9/27/12 KC Bariatric Center. Find me on MFP! Sarah829522.  

JAlston
on 12/26/12 11:17 pm
VSG on 12/07/12

I think healing is just different for everone. My incisions bothered me at different times but not enough that I needed medicine. You may want to ask for a binder if you didn't get one. It goes around your tummy and I think it feels so much better. I didn't get one initially but when I was telling my NP at my 2 week post op appointment that my skin felt like it was pulling down she said the binder would help with support and it has. 

One week post op I was on full liquids (weeks 2-4 purees on my plan), I was drinking decaf tea/coffee, water, broth, protein shakes, fat free cottage cheese and greek yogurt. Also sugar free popsicles, jello and pudding were on my plan for liquids as well. 

It is a process but I felt better everyday. Good luck!

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views