gadgets and kitchen stuff

laDeelila
on 12/28/12 9:57 pm - NJ
Hey all,
I am three days away from surgery! Yikes!
So I think I over did it it a little with the gadgets and preparing lol. I have so much crap attacking my counter.
I got a ninja, a bullet, food scale, mini crock pot, mini icecream maker for protein icecream (thanks eggface), to go lunch bowls, shaker cups, sample protein packs and mini loaf and muffin pans. I probably wont use half of this stuff, but I can't spend money on clothes so my shopping habbit is stuck on gadgets for now.

Anything else that I'm missing? (I only have this weekend to do my last minute shopping)
Obsessed lol!
MuttLover
on 12/28/12 10:36 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

Demitasse spoons -- I like them much better than "baby spoons".  I got them on sale at Home Goods. 

Actually the thing that I LOVE is my Camelbak Eddy water bottle -- it has a bite valve so you don't suck air up through the straw.  After surgery, I would fill it up and just lay in the recline with it on my chest and take little sips all day long.  I bought two -- one for work and one for home, since it's super simple to keep up with my fluid intake that way.

You can get it at amazon, REI or other sporting goods stores and it comes in a variety of colors.  Be sure to look for the model "eddy" -- its written on the bottle under the words Camelbak.  It's made by the same company that make hydration backpacks for runners and hikers.  Love it!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

Sarah W.
on 12/28/12 10:43 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 09/27/12
I used disposable medicine cups. You'll be measuring your first sips in teaspoons.

I lined up 5 cups on my bed tray (a laptop tray or TV tray would work) to make sure I was getting 5 an hour.

But I like the camelbak idea as it's more useful long-term.

Good luck and we'll be thinking of you!

Sarah 5'3" VSG 9/27/12 KC Bariatric Center. Find me on MFP! Sarah829522.  

laDeelila
on 12/28/12 10:56 pm - NJ
Oooh good one! Thanks!
I do have a bottle that has no straw but that one sounds better!
Nancybefree
on 12/28/12 11:08 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

Absolutely the 1oz measuring cups!  They were vital to getting fluids in early on.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Tia T.
on 12/28/12 11:26 pm
What kind of scale did all of you get and where you happy with it? Is the ninja neccessary and used a lot? What are the mini loaf pans for? What did you stock your fridge and pantry with?
                                Looking for my inner peace

Calking
on 12/29/12 5:19 am
VSG on 05/31/12

I use my ninja daily to make protein shakes it does wonders on frozen strawberries.  Of course there are different versions of the ninja ... the one that I use is the following ... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ninja-Frozen-Treat-and-Drink-Maker /19855960

Early on in the pureed stage this was used to blend canned chicken with a Walden Farms 0 calorie Bacon Ranch dressing among other things.

Mini loaf pans are excellent for use with things like flax muffins or "loafs"  Check out this recipe ... 

Basic Muffin In a Minute recipe 

1/4 Cup flaxseed Meal 
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder 
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 
1 tablespoon Splenda (optional) 
1 egg 

Mix everything together in a coffee cup or small cereal bowl. Cook for one minute in the microwave. Turn the cup upside down to take the muffin out. If it looks wet, let it sit for a minute or so. I have these for breakfast. You can add blueberries, or try other additions. Some people add a tablespoon of cream cheese before cooking. 

I would think that if you doubled that recipe it would go well in a mini loaf pan.  If you like that recipe it came from my friend's website.  Dave Schronce has that and many other such recipes made weight loss friendly.  Some are designed more for the maintenance end of things.  You can find these recipes here ... http://www.schronce.net/forum/index.php?16  Go to the WLS Friendly area.

Not that you asked me but I just bought a wonderful digital scale from Bed Bath and Beyond ... if you sign up on there website with a new email address (one that you haven't used before with them) you will be sent a coupon good for 20% off a single item.  The scale I got has 2000 items pre programmed in such as chicken breast.  I can put a chicken breast on the scale and it tells me the calories, carbs, fat, and protein of that piece based on it's weight.  It also has the ability to add 99 more things that you use most often.  That is really cool.  That item is as seen here ... http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16983853

Yes I realize you weren't asking me any of these questions ... just thought I would chime in as I have experience with these things.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

laDeelila
on 12/29/12 12:41 pm - NJ
That scale looks awesome! I just got a simple food scale from amazon. Thanks so much for the muffin recipe!
tanieanie
on 12/29/12 8:16 am - WI

I purchased the Ninja and the little hamilton beach mixer with the base and cup.  I Use my little one more to be honest.  Easier clean up and less counter space.  If I add fruits and such to my protien shake then I use my Ninja.

laDeelila
on 12/29/12 1:42 pm - NJ
I just bought a simple food scale from amazon. I bought the ninja on sale and it grinds up everything. Good for mushy phase and shakes. I got the bullet as a gift and it is very convenient. In my pantry, I just have sample protein packs that I got from searching on line, sugar free torani syrups, jello pudding, soups, etc.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 286 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 337 views