Things going wrong 2yrs post op??

Sandra R.
on 12/5/12 10:06 pm

I went to the doctor and she said that based on my blood tests that I am anemic, and my Vitamin D is low. I never had this issue before surgery. Is this a common issue with anyone else? Also I STILL can not get enough protein daily. You would think after 2 years I would've had this down but no. Please help!!!! Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated. By the way I am allergic to all seafoods. Which sucks because they have a lot of protein in it.

Thank you in advanced for your responses. :)

emelar
on 12/5/12 10:21 pm - TX

Low D is common in the population, surgery or not. We're just not outside in the sun nearly as much. Anemia is pretty common too!

As far as protei is concerned, if you're having trouble getting it in food, start supplementing with shakes or drinks. Experiment until you find one you like or can tolerate and make it part of your day. 

rhearob
on 12/5/12 10:52 pm - TN

Whats your diet look like?  Are you taking your supplements regularly?

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

mimij
on 12/5/12 11:35 pm - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I think anemia is related to iron not protein per se. And you can take Vitamin D. You don't need seafood for these things. Did the dr put you on iron and Vit D? Beef and liver have iron and so do dark green leafy veggies like spinach and kale. You will be fine. Just go back to basics and start getting your protein in as well. Do you log your food so you know if you are getting right amounts of protein etc?

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

MuttLover
on 12/6/12 12:23 am
VSG on 11/14/12

I had both of these issues many years pre-op.  As another poster (and my doc!) noted -- Vitamin D deficiency is practically the norm.  Anemia is not unusual in pre-menopausal women, and heavy periods are sometimes the cause.  PS -- Iron supplements can cause constipation-- so be sure to take Miralax or something if you take an iron supplement!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

SuzyNZ
on 12/6/12 1:20 am
VSG on 09/17/12

I was Vit D deficient before surgery.  My surgeon said it was very common and pretty much all his patient are.  As large people, we aren't often exposing ourselves to the sun, so are often low.  I have pasty white skin so avoid it like the plague as I end up looking like a lobster!!  But he prescribed some pills for me (2 at first, then 1 a month) and that has now resolved.

I wasn't a big meat eater before surgery so was often low on iron (I knew because I got tired so would take a supplement for a couple of weeks.  But since my surgery, I think I have eaten more meat than I have in the last 10 years, so my iron is back comfortably within normal range.  

as I don't drink shakes, my protein intake is all from food, so because of my small capacity it's nowhere near what others here talk about.  I get about 40 grams most days.  

But I just had my 3 month bloods done last week and my NUT was very happy with my protein levels and they were within the normal range, so I was please with that.  Yoghurt is my easiest source of protein as it is the thing that I can actually eat the biggest volume of (just under 1/2 cup), whereas if Im eating meat, it's only 1-2 oz.  So yoghurt is definitely an every day thing for me.

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

mickeymantle
on 12/6/12 1:32 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

you need stomach acid to absorb iron and if you are taking meds for stomach acid you can get anemic , it happened to me in the past , I stopped taking my Pepcid and in 1 month was back to normal

laurahuff65
on 12/6/12 2:26 am

My vit D was low before surgery. I take a OTC supplement for that now. As far as protein goes: I eat protein at every meal and in between. Eggs, chicken, cottage cheese, cheeses, peanut butter, protein drinks (GNC total lean shake is the best!) and protein bars (Quest is really good!). I also eat veggies. I dont eat red meats or any potatoes, bread, rice etc . i know ppl are eating that in moderation but that is my down fall and quick regain so NO thank you! good luck!

bigred_z
on 12/6/12 7:17 am - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

Make sure your Vitamin D supplement has D3.  My doc had me on 2000iu/day. 

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 5 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 5 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 190 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 277 views