How do you get your water in?????

jaycieg
on 11/26/12 12:27 pm - UT
VSG on 10/29/12

I read all these posts about how people get there water in but I am 4 almost 5 weeks out and it is still hard for me to drink 32 oz in a day. I am soooo thirsty but I start sipping and I get a pain near my sternum area not really pain but definite discomfort. I don't know what to do that is why I don't do well with my Protein either cause I can start but only get but a little in is that just me getting full? how long does liquid full last? I have got to figure this out I am worried!!!

Rita M.
on 11/26/12 12:42 pm - Webster, MA

Hi Jaycieg,

I think it would be a good idea to talk to your doctor and nutritionist on this issue. You want to make sure you don't get dehydrated first and foremost. It is dangerous when that happens. Have some Gatorade, since that has electrolytes in it and will help with dehydration.  

Also, try to keep a bottle of water next to you and with at all times and takes small sips. Also make sure you have a sippy bottle like one were the top pulls up and you suck on that so to speak. Like some water bottles are made that way. It will prevent you from swallowing too much air. That could be the problem also, that you are swallowing too much air while drinking. 

I hope this feedback helped a little but please contact a professional in any case, just to be on the safe side.

Take care and good luck.

Hugs,

Rita

jaycieg
on 11/26/12 12:52 pm - UT
VSG on 10/29/12

thanks I will I do carry a Camelbak around but it is still very hard for me to drink very much. I will call in the morning. I didn't think something was right but you never know its all new territory

SuzyNZ
on 11/26/12 1:15 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
Try warm water. Im 10 weeks out and I drink all my water warm or I wouldn't have a hope of getting it down. Cold water clunks into my tummy and feels uncomfortable to me. I can drink flavoured drinks cold, but not plain water.

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

suzie2241
on 11/26/12 10:25 pm
VSG on 11/02/12

I had my surgery the same week as you. I also had the same sensation. I found I was taking too large of a sip of water. the last several days, it hasn't been as bad. I expect it's because the swelling is going down.

This is the first week I can get 6-7 glasses of water in; up until now it was only 32 oz.  I also cannot eat much protein; so I supplement with a shake or two each day to try to meet my 70g (not always successful).  I have to remember no to drink any liquids at least 15 minutes before I eat or there isn't room for the food.

As you are worried, I would call your doctor and/or nutritionist for guidance.

Good luck!

beach_mama
on 11/26/12 11:37 pm
VSG on 08/16/12

Hi there...  I have a sleeve (no pun intended) of little medicine cups that I bought at the pharmacy.  I used to fill eight of those at a time and made sure I had those all down within the hour and I found it a lot easier.  I'm 15 weeks out now and find it easier to get the liquids in so it does get better.  I still find it challenging though to get the water in then waiting 45 mins to eat, then wait again to drink etc., so you have to plan your day out and if something ties you up like an appointment and you don't have snacks or water with you, then you have to "cram" it in later.  "Be prepared" everyday I say!

Good luck

Julie L.
on 11/27/12 1:13 am - Montreal, Canada
VSG on 11/08/12

I have trouble with water,  less trouble with crystal light,  and even less trouble with warm broth.    I find that a 16oz bottle of water may take me all day to drink.  A 16oz bottle of Crystal Light takes me about 2-3 hours.  A 10oz cup of broth takes me about 30 minutes.

jaycieg
on 11/27/12 1:29 am - UT
VSG on 10/29/12

thanks everyone funny thing is I actually mixed some crystal light and was able to drink it a little better I am not sure whats up with that but I will take it! Also though do you just sip your protein drinks all day?

emelar
on 11/27/12 2:26 am - TX

Try different temperatures.  I'm 2 years out and can still drink something warm or hot a lot faster than something cold.  It just goes down easier.

(deactivated member)
on 11/27/12 4:12 am
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 405 views