First Restaurant Visit

SuzyNZ
on 11/15/12 5:30 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
Just got home from a dinner in a bar with my team from work. Obviously I wasn't drinking, but had my first proper dining out experience.

I really didn't feel like a chicken ceaser, which I thought would be the easiest choice and as most of the appetiser sized meals were fried, I opted for the Morrocan Lamb with Cous Cous.

A GIANT plate arrives that had 5 pieces of lamb, that would have been about 40 grams each (just under 2oz). I gave 2 pieces away to friends to try, ate about 3/4 of one piece myself with about 2 tablespoons of Cous Cous. It was completely delicious!

One of the guys (they all know about my surgery) asked me if I felt bad that I couldn't just get stuck in and eat the lot. And you know what, I really didn't feel like that at all. What I did feel was that....

- everyone's meals were bloody huge! I live alone, so Im only used to my meal sized portions these days.
- everyone ate REALLY fast.
- my little bit of food, eaten in the same time as they ate their whole meals, was really satisfying
- I didn't feel weird being out with other people and just eating a tiny little bit

I asked if they could put the rest in a doggy bag for me. The waitress asked if I had lost my appetite...lol

So now I feel pleased that it was an easy, fun night AND I have a pile of cous cous and two more pieces of lamb for several meals tomorrow. Yummo!

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

71dart
on 11/15/12 6:32 pm
VSG on 08/06/12 with
When I eat out with others now, I also notice how much and how fast others eat. I know I used to eat more than them probably faster.

Also, I no longer feel guilty about leaving food uneaten. Just let it go.

charjp
on 11/15/12 10:07 pm - galesburg, IL

I always ask that a box be delivered when I order my food.  I haven't had a waitress comment on what I ate or not as it is always boxed before she sees what is left on the plate.

If I got a comment on the food that I was/wasn't eating, I would just say that I wasn't that hungry, but the food was so good that I want to take it home for later.

You are right on how large the portions seem to be and I have to laugh because I used to eat all the food that was on the plate.  Isn't it great that we can eat so little and yet be so satisfied with what we eat.

mimij
on 11/15/12 11:08 pm - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

You handled that brilliantly Suzy. Good thinking.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 392 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 423 views