Whatcha think about this?

CindyGuice
on 11/7/12 4:03 am - GA
Revision on 02/13/12

A girl at my office who had bypass about 10 years ago and I were talking about the last 10 lbs that I want to lose. I told her that I have been cutting my carbs wayyyy back, no junky carbs at all, drinking more and more water and uping my protein. She says to me "Why don't you do the 5 day pouch test?" She goes on the explain how you follow this plan for 5 days starting out with liquids and soups and building up to dense protein. She says this plan is meant to relearn what it feels like to be full again and if your stomach has stretched at all then it would go back down some. My response to her was, while this sounds great to kinda start over with a clean slate again for the remaining chapter of my weight loss, wouldn't going back to creamy soups and such make me gain weight since they have carbs in them? She assured me that it works and I would be thanking her next week. IDK... what do you guys think??? Anyone done this before? Bad idea? Good idea? I'm not sure I'm sold on it. In all fairness I haven't looked the actual plan up online either.

SleeplessinAbitibi
on 11/7/12 4:12 am - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12

I have read many many posts swearing by it!  If I ever go off track that's the way I plan on getting back into good eating.

Nathalie

“Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.” 

Keith L.
on 11/7/12 4:35 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I think it will work.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

emelar
on 11/7/12 4:36 am - TX

I don't know why anyone would willingly do a liquid diet again, and that's how the 5DPT begins.  If you need to re-set yourself, go back to dense protein and non-starchy veggies just like your plan calls for.  Same effect.

CindyGuice
on 11/7/12 4:43 am - GA
Revision on 02/13/12

Hi Elemar; I'm doing very good these days at eating clean. I eat 100 protein a day, less than 40 carbs, 800 cal and 100 oz's of water. She just brought it up and I wanted to see if anyone had heard of it before. I've re-set myself last week with some help from Elina, just wondering for other ppl who fall of the wagon.

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/12 4:42 am

Honestly, it doesn't make much sense in the long run.  What does make sense is to go back to protein and veggies and keeping your eating really clean until goal.  That is what I ended up doing in order to get rid of  that last, stubborn few pounds.  Frisco calls this "Going old school".  :) 

Honestly, I thin the 5DPT works but isn't very helpful in the longer run.

CindyGuice
on 11/7/12 4:45 am - GA
Revision on 02/13/12

Thanks Elina, the help you gave me last week really changed things for me and I feel great and have been eating really clean. I was just curious about this for others. I prefer the "Elina plan" lol

slimpickins5280
on 11/7/12 5:06 am - CO

I've done the 5-day pouch test a couple of times - once after a 2 week vacation. Being a slower loser has made want to find something, anything to help me finally get to my goal.

Does it work? Well, my experience says yes and no. It did succeed in getting rid of bad eating habits. It didn't give me the weight loss I'd hoped for. There is a wicked bounce back after doing the diet, at least, there was for me. Overall, I didn't have more or less weight loss when I looked at the entire month.

I had to take a hard look at why I felt the need to do the 5-day. When I looked at my reasons honestly, I realized that I was treating it like I'd treated every diet I tried before surgery. For me, it was just another fad diet. My desperation to get to goal had pushed me into the fad diet way of thinking.

I'm glad I tried it, because I had some issues with the "diet" mentality that I need to address.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/12 5:22 am

Your experience really summarizes my thoughts on this issue.  It's just another crash diet and we all know that they just don't work in the end. 

slimpickins5280
on 11/7/12 5:38 am - CO

Honestly, at this point, anything that veers away from 80-100 gram of protein and under 30 grams of carbs feels like a fad diet mentality to me.

I just have to keep it simple.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 100 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 325 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 369 views