Band to Sleeve Revision

C J
on 11/5/12 6:45 am - , TN

Hello....shame has kept me off the boards for quite a bit, but here goes. I had a lap band in 2008, and I really wanted to LOVE it...at first I did very well, but I kept pushing the envelope until my band was way too tight.  I became so very depressed that I could barely function.  I wouldnt allow fluid to be removed until I had taken antibiotics for an illness that eroded my esophagus...leaving me no choice.  I went nearly 2 years without fluid b/c I wanted to feel emotionally like I did pre band...this never happened.  In my logic I thought I would do baby steps filling my band.  I went once for 2 cc's and never went back.  I have been suffering almost since the beginning with reflux, and as of late had severe midline abdominal pain.  I finally decided that I wanted this thing out of me, and I have an appt Friday with a different surgeon (my prior is no longer covered on my ins).  I am posting because I need advice from folks who have had band/sleeve revisions.  Please give it to me straight...THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY!!!  I refused to listen to any of the negative comments pre band because I was so desperate to lose weight, well NO MORE....I want to go into this with all the knowledge possible...so please...give it to me straight, as I am 250 lbs now, and was only 227 top weight before band!!!!

Living > Existing

256/231/135

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/12 7:04 am - Minneapolis, MN
VSG on 10/23/12
Hi Christa,

I had my 3 year old band taken out two weeks ago and subsequently revised to the sleeve (it was done in one operation). So far, I've lost 22 pounds with the liquid diet before/after. Crazy! (With my band, I started at 285 and went down to 160 and now shot back up to 250 something at my pre-op physical.)

I guess I really didn't know what to expect for the surgery; my Lap-Band surgery seemed really easy at the time. I didn't even take off a whole week of work.

This go around, however, was a bit different. I took two weeks off (I'm just back to work today). It hasn't been SUPER difficult, but now I. HAVE. TO. REMEMBER. TO. DRINK. AND. EAT PROTEIN. The nausea sets in pretty quickly otherwise. But once you've figured out what combination works best it'll get easier. (I have to get up and force myself to drink a protein shake and immediately take my Prilosec or I start to feel crappy.) Second, I didn't have stomach pain to speak of, but where my port used to be still hurts like a mother. Actually, come to think of it, my stomach did feel different once the band was out. I attribute it to some sort of pressure change?

Nevertheless, even though there were a couple of woe is me days, I don't regret the change at all. I am really excited to have good, comfortable, natural feeling restriction versus the "someone threw a brick at my chest" feeling that I got many times with the ol' band.

I'd say jump in with both feet. Good luck!
CindyGuice
on 11/5/12 7:41 am - GA
Revision on 02/13/12

Hey Christa! I also was banded in Feb 2008. I was 222 the day of my band. Within 6 months I had dropped to 160. THEN I learned how to cheat my band and eat around it. I gained back up to 200 and stayed around there for four years. My band and my health was fine, I was the problem. I always felt hungry. I checked into the sleeve and went back to the same surgeon and he took my band out the same day he performed the sleeve. I stayed in Mexico a few extra days just to make sure there were no complications and everything went fine! I was 206 on Feb 13 of this year when I had my sleeve done and this morning I was 146. I have 11 more pounds to go for my personal goal. I'm already 1 pound under my surgeons goal. This feels great. It so nice not to feel the side of my stomach and feel the port anymore, no fills, no pibbing, no cheating, I haven't thrown up not one time. Girl when you're full, You're full!!! lol and since they cut off the majority of your stomach that produces gerlin, the chemical that tells your brain you're hungry, you have no physical hunger anymore. My weight loss has slowed the closer to goal I get but to go from a 16/18 in feb to a 6/8 now, I'm good with it! I've never once regretted the revision (except during the dreaded 3 week stall that everyone hits around 3 weeks post op) I say go for it. I couldn't have lost the weight without the sleeve and let me tell you if there is way to cheat something I'm gonna figure it out. The only way I've found to cheat the sleeve is by eating crunchy carbs, and I've ate a few let me tell ya, but now I've realized that I am so close to goal why cheat?? In 11 more pounds those carbs will still be there for a now and then treat but these 11 pounds will be GONE!!! Good luck and if you need anything, message me anytime! I will be glad to answer any questions for you!!

reneemosley
on 11/5/12 9:20 am - WA
VSG on 05/21/12

I was so excited to get the band the moment it became available in USA. I got it 5/2006. The first year was  riddled with fills and un-fills and lost 30 Lbs. Then they could never access the port again. Decided in 2011 to get the sleeve.

I had outpatient one procedure surgery. I stayed home for 2 weeks. I was tired but went back to work.

The sleeve is what I thought the Band would be. I wont bash the Band, but I could. My surgery was easy. Recovery easy. adjusting easy.

It is a tool and I am working on healing my head, now that my tummy is fixed.

I am 5 1/2 month out and have had 0 complications. 0 food intolerances. 0 deficiencies. Things have gone well.

I lost 77 Lbs quick and I think the next 100 I will struggle with but I'm ready to fight.

You will love not having to worry about a device and the new lifestyle.

Band 5/2006          Revision to VSG 5/2012

LilSleeved
on 11/5/12 5:46 pm

I got my LapBand 2008,.  I lost 270lbs and gained back 40 some.  I was having really bad reflux within the last 6 months.  Finally, I couldn't handle it anymore and really feared gaining everything back, so I went to see a new doctor.  My last one retired,.  I was approved overnight and my revision took place in one surgery 6 weeks ago yesterday.

I am thrilled! I absolutely love my sleeve!  I have had not one issue!  I am good at following the rules of eating protein first, no drinking with your meals and measuring your food.  I'm back on the losing end of life and loving every minute of it!  I love not every vomiting, sliming or getting stuck!  I eat chicken breast and fish and steak - small bites and I feel satiated after 3 oz. 

If you can revise!  Do it! 

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

spring2012
on 11/6/12 4:53 am

Hello lady,

I hear every word you said. I too had a band in 2004 and removed in 2008 due to esophageal closure.  I only lost about 25 pounds.  I was happy to get it out and over the course of 4 years gained 40 pounds.  So, I had a VSG about 5 months ago.  I am telling you, although the recovery was a bit slower, maybe in part due to the fact that I am over 50 years of age now, I feel 100% normal.  It is wonderful. My weight loss is slower than most, but have lost 45 pounds and couldn't be happier.  I never really liked the lapband feeling of having something stricture and the "button' on my belly.  I can eat whatever I want, and have no intolerances, unlike the band in which I would throw up about every other day or so.  I can order from the regular menu items and am thrilled.  I am not skinny, but can fit into clothes from about 10 years ago. I feel amazing...fit in chairs and airplanes so much better.  I would suggest that you try to go to a comprehensive care center of excellence and get the best surgeon you can get.  It is all about technique.  I was scared, afraid (of failure mostly) and didn't want to be disappointed again.  It has been so much more. I like my protein drinks and have at least one each day.  It keeps me full. I am off of caffeine, soda and feel great.  Go talk with someone.  I told my surgeon how happy I was and he said that to a PERSON, everyone who has gone from the lapband to the VSG has preferred the VSG.  he has done several thousand procedures.  So, although it isn't for everyone, it might be right for you. Keep me posted and good luck. 

C J
on 11/7/12 2:22 am - , TN

Thanks everyone for your replies.....I go Friday to talk to a surgeon...say a prayer for me please!!!!

Living > Existing

256/231/135

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 88 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views