A junk food rant

sleeveacuse
on 10/13/12 2:59 pm - NY
When I was sleeved back on August 20 I had no idea how hard the month of October was going to be. This month alone I will or already have celebrated my birthday, my wife's birthday, my son's birthday, my father-in-law's birthday, 2 friend's birthdays, and my wedding anniversary. With each of these milestones have come the usual cakes and other tempting treats, like ice cream, that seem to taunt you till you give in and attack them. So far I have not touched any of them, but man is it hard! Today we had some friends stop over with some cupcakes and ice cream to celebrate my sons birthday (a couple days late because they were not able to make the original party) and when dessert was served I had to go outside and take a walk because it just looked to good. When I made the decision to be sleeved I promised myself that I would never be the grumpy father who did not let my kids enjoy foods like birthday cake because I could not/should not have it. I am pretty sure that I may have made my friends mad for leaving, but I just did not think I could be that resilient today. They knew I had the surgery, so I thought they would be cool or at least understand my actions - but I guess not. How does everyone deal with these types of situations? Was I wrong for stepping out for a few minutes while they enjoyed their cupcakes and ice cream?
Nancy S.
on 10/13/12 3:05 pm
Hi

I am so immpressed , I think you went with what your gut told you to do and you stayed true to your self, True friends understand that. Continue on and think only positive thoughts, because that will expand into more positive things, I havent had my surgery yet, But hearing things like this helps me,

Thank you

Nancy
frisco
on 10/13/12 3:32 pm

Way to go !!!!

It was you that lay on that operating table getting your insides tweaked.......So many people forget that they put there life on the line for this !!!!

Yay you !!!

Commitment and Compliance is what this takes !!!!!

You did the right thing.....and I can assure you..... you can have some of those things down the road.
By the time you get to goal you will have a better understanding and actually have the power going into "protection mode".

It's all you from here on out...... only you.... you can't blame others for having those foods around.... that stuff is everywhere you look..... Stop watching TV if you don't want to see off plan foods !!!!

My point is...... It's not just my world.... other people can eat like that..... I can't.... I'm "Special" that way.....

It's gonna take about 6 months to get used to new normals.......

I actually go into bakeries and buy that stuff for family, friends and clients...... I'm always bringing my mom pies, cakes, candy, ice cream, cream puffs.....

You dun good !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/12 3:42 pm
I used to do the very same thing early out.  As a matter of fact, I couldn't even eat with my family for a while.  No one became upset because they understood the seriousness of the choice that I made.  Failure was not an option and they knew that I had a new commitment and needed to take care of myself and my needs to make this journey a success.  You did the right thing.  I would have done the same.  Now that I am in maintenance, I can have a bit of those foods, but I did non choose to have them during my losing phase, and I am happy that I stood strong.  It was my commitment and determination that got me to goal and I believe it is your attitude that will get you to yours.  Don't ever second guess yourself about taking care of yourself around this issue.  Give yourself full permission to put yourself first when it comes to food.  After all, you were willing to lay on an operating table and have a surgeon take out most of a perfectly functioning organ to get to your goals, taking a walk around dessert should be a no brainer.  Way to go!
desertmom
on 10/13/12 7:13 pm - Dubai, XX
VSG on 03/13/12
You dont have to make excuses for anything you do to avoid eating food that would slow down your weight loss.You are newly sleeved and busy changing your life by losing weight.That is all you should focus on when it comes to food.

People that care for us will get over themselves in time.lol

Teasha1
on 10/13/12 8:15 pm
VSG on 06/04/12
Good on you!  You have to do what is right for you and staying on play is what is right you and ultimately your family so that you can be around to watch your kids grow and be with your wife into the twilight years. Your friends will come to understand in time; I think it is hard for people who don't have this problem to crasp how serious it is for us.  Again good for you!

Dr. Sauceda future patient  - body will be by Sauceda!

Surgery 4 Jun 12 Dr Ponce de Leon in Mexico I was down 57 lbs prior to surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 394 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views