Cabbage roll stew recipe

EliseG
on 10/9/12 10:07 am - MA
A couple people asked for the recipe earlier in the Whatcha Eating Today thread, so I thought I would post. I sent this message to Ree (Italian-Princess) so I'll just copy and paste :)

This recipe makes a TON of food, so definitely cut it down if you want to!
I use 3 lbs 95% lean ground beef, 2 onions, a large bulb of garlic, 4 cups low sodium beef broth, 2 cans no salt added stewed tomatoes, a whole head of saucy cabbage, Worchestershire, and red pepper flakes to taste.
First I chop the onions and garlic, and sautee them until golden in some cooking spray (like PAM or something, although olive oil would be great for this too, would just add a few calories to it). When they are close to done I add the ground beef and just slightly brown it. Then I put the mixture in the crock pot with the beef broth, stewed tomatoes, worchestershire, and red pepper flakes. I shred the cabbage by hand as I go (pieces don't have to be too small) and pack all the cabbage on top. Cook on low for 8 hours or until the cabbage appears nice and soft :) When I entered the recipe in MFP, the stats for 1 cup (8oz) are 129 cals, 7 carbs, 4 fat, 16 protein, 201 sodium and 2 fiber. I believe I have a much larger sleeve than many folks do, as I am quite comfortable eating a cup (or even a cup and a half!) but that may be too much for someone else.
Enjoy!

(deactivated member)
on 10/9/12 10:21 am
This sounds great!  I am going to try it this week.  Thank you so much for posting it.
EliseG
on 10/9/12 10:24 am - MA
I really hope you like it!
I mean, it's no green chicken soup for sure but I enjoy it :)

Ms Shell
on 10/10/12 12:54 am - Hawthorne, CA
Please NEVER sell yourself short, this recipe sounds AMAZING!!!

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

EliseG
on 10/10/12 1:07 am - MA
Aww Ms. Shell, you are too nice to me sometimes! Thank you :)

ParisGirl
on 10/9/12 11:13 am
VSG on 04/25/13
 Thanks!!!!! Looks yum!

EliseG
on 10/9/12 12:40 pm - MA
Thanks! Hope it turns out OK :)

TSinNC
on 10/9/12 11:19 am
VSG on 08/16/12
 Yum! I'll be trying this for sure!

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

EliseG
on 10/9/12 12:41 pm - MA
I hope you like it! :)

Wildcat-NYC
on 10/9/12 11:37 am
VSG on 08/16/12
This sounds so good.  I grew up on stuffed cabbage and zucchini - this is like a deconstructed version.  Thanks so much for posting!

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 235 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 308 views