Day 8 of pre-op liquid diet.

KnitsByMama
on 10/9/12 4:31 am, edited 10/9/12 4:41 am - MO
VSG on 10/16/12
It's been a WEEK! I made it through a week!!    

This has probably been one of the most challenging things I've ever done. These past 7 days have been rough, but I made it. I have 7 more to go until my surgery. I really struggled on day 5. I had the worst headache that just pounded and made me nauseated. I lost control and I cheated. I at least chose a decent food to cheat with. I had about 2 cups of cottage cheese. It's on the 2nd phase foods and it was full of protein but I still felt like crap for cheating. I just lost all my willpower that night. I was alone, hubby was out at a hockey game and I was miserable. What I learned from this situation though is the cottage cheese didn't make it better. Food doesn't make me feel better. Food is not about feelings, it's about nutrition. I think this was a worthwhile lesson to learn. Yes, I had to cheat on the diet to learn it, but in the long haul it is going to make me stronger. I've never thought I was an emotional eater, I still don't think that but I can see how my emotions led me to eat that night. The whole situation gives me something to work on and hopefully that will motivate me to finish out this diet and move onto my surgery with a good mind frame.  

This biggest thing I can say about this diet is that I am SO SICK OF SWEET things. UGH! Everything is sweet, and not just sweet, like teeth aching sweet. They say your tastebuds change during this journey and it's for sure already happening. The protein shakes I am having to drink are just so sweet that it's hard to stomach them. I was literally crying about it yesterday to Michael. I just wanted something that wasn't sweet!! Thank goodness I had a sample of Unjury Chicken Soup Protein powder. It literally saved me that day. It was drinkable and while it kinda tastes like a Ramen Noodle packet minus the noodles at least it wasn't sweet! Of course, now I'm out of it and waiting for my canister to be delivered. Oh well!  

Overall the past week has been full of emotions, ups & downs, victories and defeats. It's been a tough 7 days but with the support of my amazing husband and my awesome friends I've made it through one hurdle and I'm ready to keep working towards the next one!  

Total weight loss for Week 1: 9lbs.
moonglo82
on 10/9/12 4:36 am
VSG on 03/29/12
The preop diet is, for many, the toughest part of the whole journey.  The good news is that you learned something from your cheat, and you didn't let it completely derail you... if you can apply that principal to post op life, you are going to do very well! 

You're halfway through the toughest part of the whole process.  You'll be sleeved before you know it.  Keep up the great work! :)

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Pinkchickadee
on 10/9/12 5:14 am
 I am  getting  sleeved on Monday and I am just starting week three. It sucks and it's hard and I have had some slips but I am plugging along too.  I am only allowed water and protien shakes. I am  sick of the sweet too. Down 17 pounds in 2 weeks.  Dig deep. This  part  sucks  but I  hear it's  the worst part of the  journey. What is your sleeve date?

Starting Weight:275 CW:189 SW:??  Goal:169

KnitsByMama
on 10/9/12 5:17 am - MO
VSG on 10/16/12
 I'm scheduled for 10/16! It can't come soon enough! 
Pinkchickadee
on 10/9/12 5:20 am
 I have to  do  clear fluids on the last day preop and I have never been so excited for popcicles and  broth! lol Soooo tired of the  shakes. Only 5 more days of  shakes!

Starting Weight:275 CW:189 SW:??  Goal:169

notoriousgrannyD
on 10/9/12 10:00 am
VSG on 10/16/12
I am on the exact same schedule as you, currently on day 8 and I found day 6 and 7 hard, probably because it is thanksgiving weekend here in Canada and food is everywhere!  I am on 4 Optifast shakes a day and have been doctoring them up pretty good but I am also allowed SF jello and low sodium broth - THAT has been a life saver!  I have one a "lunch" followed by one of my shakes and the same routine at supper.  Somehow it feels like a meal lol. 

Hang in there, surgery is only a few days away.  I leave my hometown on Monday, surgery is tuesday in Winnipeg Manitoba, about a 6 hour drive from here.  I have to stay in wpg for a week post op, so it will be hotel life for my first few days.

7 more sleeps until the loser's bench!
. Surgery date OCTOBER 16th    
sonywife
on 10/9/12 10:05 am - Elmsdale, Canada
VSG on 10/24/12
Starting my 2 week Pre op diet tomorrow! Surgery date Oct 24th. I like my shakes...with skim milk..can drink them all day long. HATE them with water.

Melissa B.
on 10/9/12 11:42 am - KY
VSG on 10/12/12
I too am on day 7 of the pre-op - day 4 & 5 were my toughest.   I was grumpy, irritable & stressed out over my last days at work.  Today was MUCH better!   I did notice my tongue has turned a weird yellow/white shade.  Did my PAT on Monday and didnt seem to be a problem.  I think it is from all the  protein.  I did buy some liquid B-12 to help with my energy.
Good luck to everyone!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views