Having trouble moving forward

sleeveacuse
on 10/3/12 2:36 pm - NY
Its been 7 weeks since my surgery and I am now supposed to introduce solid foods (meats, raw veggies, salads) back into my diet. For the past 3 weeks I have eaten the same thing everyday. For breakfast I eat 1/2 of a scrambled egg, at lunch I eat 1/4 cup of tuna, and for dinner I usually have 1/4 cup of tuna (again) or pasta. All of these are considered soft foods so I was able to eat them starting at week 4. Now my doctor says I can eat up to 1/2 Cup of pretty much any solid food at each meal. I know this sounds stupid, while I physically can eat and drink with no problems so far, I cannot seem to mentally do so. I feel as though all of the weight I lost will somehow come back when I start eating more. Saying it out loud sounds so ridiculous, but I just can't help it. I feel physically hungry and I would love to eat some different foods, but the fear of weight gain sort of consumes me. I do have an appointment to see a nutritionist - but it's a month away. Has anyone experienced this problem or am I just a head case?
wls2011
on 10/3/12 11:34 pm - Ballston Lake, NY
 You are not alone...a lot of people have posted on here about not moving forward quickly due to a variety of reasons...some of it fear of regain, some of it fear of getting sick from the food, or fear that it would hurt their sleeve....it really is common....

I went very slowly through the stages... a lot slower than my surgeon's plan stated....it really is okay to do this...you have your whole life to eat a variety of food again....as long as you are eating high protein and meeting those goals, and losing weight.....it is all good...

I'm just a very picky eater, and had a lot of restriction so it made sense for me to stay on liquids and mushies for a long time...I focused on a lot of greek yogurt, cheese sticks, soups, and protein shakes....then added tuna, ground beef and chilis and that sort of thing....of course, I can eat anything now being  1 1/2 years out....I still prefer my soft foods, but I do eat solids now like steak, turkey, and chicken...but in small portions still...probably about 3 oz.

If you are still hungry throughout the day, you can try to increase the amount of meals you eat, instead of the quantity at each meal....I'd hesitate to eat 1/2 cup of food at such an early stage...I still don't eat that much usually....or you could try to eat just a couple extra bites than what you've been doing and see how that feels...just always eat slowly, just in case, so you don't eat too much which is very uncomfortable.

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 395 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op