VST Forum/Carbs

hollirrose
on 9/25/12 4:30 am
VSG on 04/21/12
So I also read the VST (vertical sleeve talk) forum and as a group they seem to eat far more carbs than people on here. I know that when I read their posts and accept that there is more than one way to go about this. For me, I choose the 600 calories/under 40 (usually around 20) carbs/60 + protein route. Sometimes it is everything I can do to keep my mouth shut. Today someone (at 5 weeks) posted their food for the day. It was ½ sandwich with wheat bread and the other ½ sandwich for dinner. She was to full to do a shake and seemed quite proud of herself. Ehhh?? If she had a few slices of lunch meat and a slice of cheese…. The most protein she got in 10 – 15 grams. Doesn’t she know this could damage her health?? The other day a poster was worried about not losing enough weight. He posted his food log for about 3 weeks. I waited and watched for the responses after reading his log. It included chips/fries/mashed potatoes/noodles/fruit/corn nearly every single day. You know what--- All the comments weren’t bad and really didn’t touch on the fact that he was eating so many carbs and not even the good carb stuff. There is also a post about when people can start eating bread again. Most said around 4 weeks or so. I am 5 months out and haven’t had bread. Even if you want to have carbs how could you if you follow the protein first rule? Hell I usually only eat about 1 ½ ounces of meat at a time and I’m done. I guess I am just venting…well venting isn’t the right word…. Flabbergasted. Yep, I am flabbergasted that these kinds of foods are on their ok list. I just want to ask each one of these posters if they are losing weight. Maybe they are, I don’t know. All that being said, I will continue to read both of these forums. I think there is a lot of info that can be learned. I will just need to come back on here when I have diet and nutrition questions!
Sinlaila
on 9/25/12 4:56 am - WA
VSG on 06/12/12

It's amazing how much dis-information is out there and how many people think that having the surgery is all they need to do and the weight will just magically disappear.  Then they are surprised and can't figure out why it doesn't.
TSinNC
on 9/25/12 6:20 am
VSG on 08/16/12
I steer clear of that forum for the most part because of this exact issue!

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

happyteacher
on 9/25/12 8:11 am
 It is not necessary for all patients to go under 40 daily, and in fact can be dangerous for some.  I think it is important to focus on what your needs are and what you need to do to be succusful.  I did 40 carbs a day at first- about 2 months and struggled with low blood sugar as a result.  Once I added in carefully timed carbs I was much better off and had no difficulty getting to goal.  On the other hand, there are posters here who feel strongly that they only way they can make it to goal is under 40- and if it is working for them then stick to it.  We all go through ups and downs, stalls, etc.  but at the end of the day just try to learn from it and make adjustments when needed.  Good luck in your process.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

skinny cat
on 9/25/12 10:05 am
VSG on 01/08/13
 Happyteacher: I am pre op and have problems now with low blood sugar.  This is one of my concerns for post op. How do you time your carbs and what do you eat for carbs to keep the blood sugar even while still losing weight?

happyteacher
on 9/28/12 10:18 pm
 I think for you it will be important that you discuss this with your doc and nutritionist, as we are all a little different when it comes to this issue.  With that said, here are the guidelines that I (try to) follow:

I alternate 15 net carbs and 30 net carbs, eating 6 times a day.  These are not abo****e numbers, but rather targets for me.  

I have only had it happen a few times, but if I go reaaaally carb heavy, I have issues going low after and get caught in a bit of a cycle trying to even out the blood sugar.  I thus try not to do super high carb meals.  

I now always eat right before bed.  In the very early weeks when I was low carbing it, I was going super low in the middle of the night (dangerous) and had a few mornings where I was so low I was unable to get out of bed to get anything.  Other times in the middle of the night I could make it downstairs, but in a bit of a staggering way.  Eating before bed greatly reduced this.

I am careful with the morning carbs- for whatever reason it is like my body is slow to warm up to them or something- if I am feeling punky then that is not the morning typically to start with the 30 carb option- I start on the 15 carb option and monitor- slowly adding in carbs later if needed.  

I eat protein with carbs- not sure if there is any science behind this, but it seems to help a lot with keeping the blood sugar humming a long better.  I have had a few times where I ate just carbs (i;e; a large bagel yesterday morning) and I just don't feel good after that.

This has been working well for me overall.  I was diagnosed as a diabetic pre op, and that resolved completely.  The low blood sugar is very easy to manage with diet- I was only have persistent issues in the first 8 weeks or so- once I corrected the diet it has not been an issue. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views