It finally happened: (

alabamaorthogirl
on 9/25/12 3:22 pm - AL
VSG on 02/19/13
 I have completed 5 months of the supervised diet and have 1 month to go. It feels like an eternity waiting for this surgery but I am so ready. I have 2 kids, the oldest is 5 yo and he is a sweet boy. I don't want him to have the fat mom in class or have his friends make fun. I was hoping I could have surgery before he realized I was fat. Funny I know. Yesterday he told me I had a fat belly. We don't talk this way at my house and I don't think he realized this would be hurtful to me. Obviously it was and I have shed quite a few tears. Just ready to get this surgery done and feel better about myself. Anyone else have their kids make truthful but hurtful comments?
TexasLovely
on 9/25/12 3:32 pm
 I don't have kids of my own, but my neices and nephews have commented on my weight. It hurts, and I've def cried over it. Sadly kids don't really think before they say.
heck my nephew still says I'm fat, and I've lost well over a 100 pounds. I actually kind of laugh at it now, because I really don't expect kids to see much of a difference in me.
alabamaorthogirl
on 9/26/12 1:02 am - AL
VSG on 02/19/13
 It does hurt. I know he didn't mean to hurt my feelings. I think he is just starting to notice the difference in people. Thanks for commenting. Nice to know I'm not the only one out there.
hollykim
on 9/26/12 2:23 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
i know he didn't mean to hurt your feelings,but if you don't talk that way in your home(we didn't either and it was a firm and fast rule with my two children) then you should definately correct him on why he hurt your feelings and why we don't say those kind of things to ANYONE.

When our children get in school,around other children who haven't been taught appropriately,it is even more important for us to enforce our value system.

Everyone's home should be the one place in the world where they can be safe and not have to worry about being hurt. This is why my son was never allowed to talk about my daughter when she was in her chubby stage or talk to anyone else about it,and why she was not allowed to make fun of him when he wet the bed till he was 10 years old,or talk to anyone outside our home a bout it.

The words fat,dumb,stupid,body part /function slang was absolutely not allowed.

By the grace of God ,our children grew up to be kind and compassionate people annnd they are using the same approach raising their children.

GL

alabamaorthogirl
on 9/26/12 4:52 am - AL
VSG on 02/19/13
 I do feel this all started when he started kindergarten. We had the talk so hopefully he took it to heart.
(deactivated member)
on 9/25/12 3:55 pm
(((HUGS)))  I haven't with my daughter saying anything but when she was smaller you know when kids will try to give you raspberries you know try to blow on your arm that made me feel terrible, I would laugh it off b/c she thought it was the funniest thing but I felt an inch high.
alabamaorthogirl
on 9/26/12 1:28 am - AL
VSG on 02/19/13
 Thanks for the hug. I needed it.
tlpldy
on 9/25/12 9:54 pm
both of my kids have come home crying or mad because someone at school called their mom fat.  Mine are a bit older, and both have told me that they love me just like I am, but it still hurts.  It hurts for them to endure this because of MY mistake!  IT SUCKs..

You have to let it roll off  your back, kids don't realize how hurtful they can be, they are just..honest.  You are moving in the right direction that yours will most likely not have to even remember you being overweight.  Don't let it depress you, let it motivate you to move forward with even more gusto than before. 
alabamaorthogirl
on 9/26/12 1:08 am - AL
VSG on 02/19/13
 Thank you so much for your comment. You are so right. I have to get over it. He cried when he knew he hurt my feelings. I know people make fun of overweight people but it is usually behind my back. This was in my face. He was making an observation that is in fact true. I have made the difficult decision to have wls and finally do something about it. I've got to start looking forward and not back. Thanks! Your comment lifted me up a bit: )
christinahelena
on 9/26/12 4:42 pm, edited 9/26/12 4:42 pm - CA
 My 5 year o,d has never used the word fat, but he loves my " big belly" and it never honestly hurt me because I see it as just the honesty of a child. There was no judgement in his honesty, just an observation. In fact, when I told him I wanted to lose some of my big belly, he was like, " nooooooo, I love it, why? " because to him it is mommy, comfort, love, warmth, softness. I agree we need to teach our kids NOT  to comment on other peoples bodies, that people are made in all shapes and heights and sizes, God makes us all different and we are all valuable. The reason we don't comment on other people is because We don know how THEY feel about their shape or size, and we don't wnt to hurt.
Funny, we teach our kids to be honest and it to NOT LIE and when they are honest we teach them to not say the truth out loud. It is a funny thing, and a difficult nuance to learn for a littl one.! As you said, he just noticed other moms may look different, but unless he said it meanly, your tears were about the fact that it is a painful truth for YOU, it makes you unhappy. He was not passing judgement, I am sure to him you are a beautiful mommy.  I taught my older son early on, to not comment on other peoples outside appearance and to not judge a book by its cover, I also told him early on that I was unhappy with my size, but that I was a wonderful loving person. I taught him what to say if someone ever called me fat..because I had a fat mom, and I remember,y tears at feeling I had to defend her. I taught him to say back, you might be right, my mom is a bigger person than some. But she also has one of the biggest hearts, and is full of love. I taught him it is okay to acknowledge the truth about me, but ALL OF IT, WITHOUT ANY SHAME. The biggest  gift we can give them is loving ourselves, and not being judgemmental. Teaching compassion, and it starts with compassion for your own imperfections.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 306 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 351 views