Considering Ponce De Leon In Mexico Scared

hippychic0032
on 9/25/12 3:25 am
I am considering going to Ponce De Leon to get the VSG.  I am scared to go to Mexico to have a surgery.  I have read many good things about him.  I have already been in contact with Trish which I have also heard good things about.  
I told my mom about it and she is FREAKING OUT!!  She says NO MEXICO.  but insurance won't cover me in California.  My BMI is only 37 and I dont have any other health problems. I am 5'6 and weigh 225  PLEASE give me some feed back.
Lisa1023
on 9/25/12 7:32 am
VSG on 03/05/13
why not consider listening to your own instincs, and the  US Medical guidelines for the procedure, as well as your mother.  At 5'6, you are only  about 60 pounds overweight.  The sleeve is intended for super morbid obese with BMI of 50 or over in most cases.  At 225, I wore a size 14/16.  I am also 5'6".     Just sayin
hippychic0032
on 9/25/12 7:46 am
I have been a yo yo dieter my entire life and it seems that with each passing year I put on an additional 15 or so pounds.  I don't want to wait until I am morbidly obese,  I am ready for the surgery now just looking for some insight on Mexico surgery.   I am wearing 16 &18's and 1X shirts.  I'm too big for me.
I had a back injury about 7 years ago and it is tough for me to do intense exercise wo pain.  My weight has climbed drastically ever since.  I can't climb any higher.  My back, my knees,  my feet everything hurts from carring around this extra weight.  My 9 year old daughter weighs about 68 lbs.  Everytime I pick her up I think  MY GOD  this is how much weight I am carring around that I don't need to be. 
kodomezhow06
on 9/25/12 9:12 am - KY
Ultimately you will have to make the choice for you.  But, I can relate to you.  You and I are the same height and weight and like you every year I have been piling on the pounds.  And like you I have been a yo yo dieter and could not seem to stop the weight gain.  I have been experiencing some health issues recently and I just don't want to battle weight and health issues until I'm grossly over weight.  Now I am at a point that I am ready for a permanent change.  So, on Oct 6th I will be sleeved in Mexico. 

So, make the choice for YOU.  And please do your research and ask lots of questions.
NanaDebby65
on 9/25/12 10:25 am - North Richland Hills, TX
I'm 5'5 and was 228 when I had the surgery. I am now maintaining between 130-135 and have been in maintenance for nearly 2 years.

I did have co-morbids (diabetes, sleep apnea & hypertension) so my insurance did cover the surgery. My intention was to lose enough weight to resolve those issues. They were gone by the time I lost 50 lbs but I lost another 48 lbs.

Best thing I have ever done!! Why wait until you do have co-morbids. Go for it!!
HW: 228/GW: 140/CW: 134    
(deactivated member)
on 9/25/12 8:00 am
On September 25, 2012 at 2:32 PM Pacific Time, Lisa1023 wrote:
why not consider listening to your own instincs, and the  US Medical guidelines for the procedure, as well as your mother.  At 5'6, you are only  about 60 pounds overweight.  The sleeve is intended for super morbid obese with BMI of 50 or over in most cases.  At 225, I wore a size 14/16.  I am also 5'6".     Just sayin
SO not true - the sleeve is NOT only for the SMO.

i was 138lbs at the time of my lapband to sleeve revision & at 4'11 i was well below a 50 BMI.  

not sure where you got this information - but since insurance covers this surgery for those with a BMI of 30 or above .... or in the case of the need for a revision, your assessment is way off.   
Lisa1023
on 9/25/12 12:15 pm
VSG on 03/05/13
 Well bcbs Baltimore requires a BMW of 50 or above, as do others.  Or 35 or 40 with two comorbs
(deactivated member)
on 9/26/12 3:54 am
so even your own insurance company approves the sleeve to the non super mobidly obese.

good to know, not what you originally said.
NanaDebby65
on 9/25/12 10:18 am - North Richland Hills, TX

In my personal opinion, the sleeve is the best option for a lightweight. Being a light weight myself, with co-morbids, was the main reason for having the sleeve surgery.

My intention was to loose enough weight to resolve the health related issues of being overweight. All my co-morbids (diabetes, sleep apnea & hypertension) were resolved by the time I lost 50 lbs. Bonus was I lost an additional 48 lbs.

If the OP has had a history of yo-yo dieting, which most of us have, then why not nip it in the butt now and not wait until they have 100-200 lbs to lose?

Just sayin........

HW: 228/GW: 140/CW: 134    
Jls8877
on 9/25/12 8:24 am
 I think it is ultimately your choice. I don't have any insight on Mexico but I do think research shows the likelihood of you losing your excess weight and keeping it off without medical intervention is minimal. This surgery is life changing in both good and hard ways. There have been many people to travel to Mexico to get their surgery. Mexicali is often referred to around here. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 98 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views