Gallbladder removed? How does it change your behaviors/life?

hwag5149
on 9/18/12 7:42 am
So, I just found out I've been having gallbladder attacks or whatever they're called. Worst pain of my life. I have an ultrasound today and I'm positive it will be removed soon. I've been reading up on the gallbladder and everything it's supposed to do for us and I'm just wondering what changed about you after you had yours taken out? Did you have to take special supplements? Stay away from specific foods? Certain things make you sick?

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

bluemems
on 9/18/12 7:47 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/12
Unfortunately that varies from person to person.  I had mine out in July and have not had any issues.  A friend of mine had hers our years ago and has a hard time with eggs and sometimes salad.  I do not have to take any supplements or stay away from any foods.  Hope that helps.

hwag5149
on 9/18/12 7:58 am
Oh yeah, the dr last night told me not to eat "roughage" right now... weird!

Wildcat-NYC
on 9/18/12 7:52 am
VSG on 08/16/12
I had mine out before VSG.  Alcohol was processed by my body differently.  I got sick much easier when drinking.  In the beginning, I couldn't drink coffee but overtime I was able to add it back in.  Fatty foods would make me have to run to the bathroom especially in the beginning - that got a little better.  Other than that, not much is different.

You will feel much better once it's out!

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
hwag5149
on 9/18/12 7:58 am

Oh how I love my fatty foods! I guess it's a blessing in disguise! Baby Jesus is going to force me to stay on plan and get skinny!!!! 

Alcohol makes you sick now?? NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Wildcat-NYC
on 9/18/12 8:06 am
VSG on 08/16/12
I haven't had a drink since 2 weeks before surgery, but before that I had to be very careful when I drank.  Shots were a no go or I would definitely be sick.  I was usually ok if I stuck to beer and wine and drank slowly.

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
lisa2job
on 9/18/12 8:00 am - WA
VSG on 09/06/12
I had mine out about 5 years ago and yes its the worst pain ever!!!!   I cant seem to tolerate spicy foods as much as I use to and have had to tone the spice down ........  also I did notice an increase in passing gas.........   but other than that nothing would never know its gone .  it also was a very easy surgery

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/12 8:01 am
I had mine out before VSG and I have had no changes at all.  I hope you get the same lack of effect.  It was a very easy to deal with surgery for me.
Missy30
on 9/18/12 8:08 am
VSG on 06/27/12
I had mine out before VSG my daughter was about 2 months old so that was like 11 and half yrs ago.  Nothing changed except I would get diarrhea when I ate greasy, fried foods and my brother had his out about a yr ago and same thing for him.  Sorry tmi but you asked lol.  But it was an easy surgery and you will feel sooo much better not having the gallbladder attacks those suck!

tripmom02
on 9/18/12 8:19 am - NJ
It did nothing but improve my life, and thats the honest truth. I had what I thought was IBS (and it was really, really bad), but it turned out it was linked to my galbladder dysfunction and I have never have a problem with it since it was removed. I don't have any issues, don't take anything special, don't have to avoid any foods.

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 398 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views