F#%$ the Scale!

ib40
on 9/6/12 8:29 am
Welcome to my pity party! I have officially decided to announce my hatred of my scale. Our former love/hate relationship has soured into pure venom. It took me three months to lose 5 lbs., constantly going up and down the same few lbs. Now it's happening all over again. I'm starting to work out more to hopefully build muscle mass and improve my cardio (and supposedly boost my RMR), but this is just crap. I feel like I'm working my ass off yet here I sit, just a few days from my 1 year surgery anniversary.

I don't know what's going on. I'm pissed at the scale, pissed at my body, and just ******g angry in general. I'll take my measurements in a week or so but I'm not expecting anything great at this point. I'm on the verge of no longer attempting weight loss and just trying to maintain. I'm frustrated, I want to cry. I've dealt with this the entire summer and I'm ready to give up. I lose so slowly! In the last six months, I have only lost 18-20 lbs. I'm watching carbs, watching fluid intake, upped my protein intake, log my food, exercise. I've posted about this before and nothing has changed.

Hell, now I am crying.

AngieB2011
on 9/6/12 1:33 am, edited 9/6/12 1:33 am - MD
VSG on 03/19/12
If you are working on building muscle that might account for the undesirable numbers on the scale. Try measuring yourself. The results may be in inches as opposed to scale numbers.
INgirl
on 9/6/12 9:16 am
Take a break from the damn scale, but keep doing what you have been.. you are still losing, just really slowly but you are also much smaller than you were so your caloric deficit is much lower..

How's your thyroid? What's the numbers look like? Most Docs do NOT medicate when it's needed, as the lab range they allow as normal, isn't.
loverofcats
on 9/6/12 9:17 am
18-20 lbs in six months is awesome. It does get slower and more difficult the less weight that one has to lose and the longer out that you are. Maybe, have your body fat tested. That is a more reliable indicator than the scale.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Sutterbos
on 9/6/12 9:23 am
VSG on 06/21/12
I'm sorry you are feeling so low - it IS really frustrating when the damn scale doesn't move!  But you've lost 80 pounds in a year and THAT'S amazing!!  Congratulations!

No matter what the scale says, you are healthier and I bet wearing way cuter clothes than a year ago.

Hang in there, and I'm a firm believer in the pity party.  Sometimes you just need to feel like crap for a few days to get those feelings out and then move on.

Liza180
on 9/6/12 10:33 am
Maybe get a trainer to really up your weightlifting and change up the exercise. Also, change what you're eating. THe body gets very used to routine.  And as you get closer to your goal, your body will slow its weight loss.

Instead of focusing on the pounds you have left, focus on your accomplishment! Its incredible!!! I am 3 weeks post op and I can only dream of losing the weight you have lost.  So stop weighing yourself everyday! Move it to once a week and once you stop focusing on a number, you will see it change. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views