Biotin

itzmetinab
on 9/3/12 4:37 pm - WV
VSG on 07/16/12
From what I've read, nothing will help with hair loss.  However, I've seen several people mention taking biotin for their hair.  There is biotin in my MV.  Should I also be taking a biotin supplement?  If so, how much should I be taking.  I have such thin hair already, so I'm really stressed about the potential of losing my hair! 

Highest weight:  294  Surgery Weight:  281  Goal weight:  150
M1 - 20.6 M2 - 16.6 M3 - 17 M4 - 11 M5 -10.2

mcmanis
on 9/3/12 4:41 pm - CA
VSG on 08/29/12
My Dr told me the hair loss is a lack of vitamins and reccomended the biotin, i have 5000mcg of biotin I take daily along with my MV and B12 as well. Other forums have mentioned Biotin for hairgrowth and I noticed the new Garnier frutice commercial has biotin in it for hair growth.

HW-300 SW-259.5 CW-175 GW-140
M1:24 M2:15 M3:14 M4:4 M5:12 M6:8 M7:7 M8:0 M9:0 M10:5

loverofcats
on 9/3/12 4:50 pm
 Actually, if you get enough protein, you don't need Biotin, according to the Bariatric Internist in the program that I went through. My hair thinned out during the rapid weight loss phase and has returned to its original thickness and health. How fast it comes back, depends upon how fast your hair grows and the amount of protein in your diet. I never took Biotin. Keep up with your protein and you should be fine. Hair and nails are protein.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

itzmetinab
on 9/3/12 5:01 pm - WV
VSG on 07/16/12
 How much protein were you getting in the begining?  I'm 7 weeks out today.  For the past two weeks I've been getting 55-70.  Before that, it was about 45-60 grams/day.

Highest weight:  294  Surgery Weight:  281  Goal weight:  150
M1 - 20.6 M2 - 16.6 M3 - 17 M4 - 11 M5 -10.2

loverofcats
on 9/3/12 5:54 pm
 You're doing better than I was at that stage. I had complications in the beginning and was behind the curve for the first few months. Just keep increasing it, as you can. Also, Plain NF Greek Yogurt has a lot of protein and you could actually put some into your shakes, which would help to increase the protein content. I don't know what your program recommends, but I think the goal is ultimately around 80 grams of protein/day. I get more than that, due to my exercise program. When you start exercising more intensely and especially, if you are weight training, you will need more protein. Biotin won't hurt anything and may help with regrowth. The hair loss seems to be something that most of us have to go through, due the shock of the surgery, starvation diet, and rapid weight loss. Your hair WILL come back. It is very unsettling while it is happening. How fast it comes back depends upon the length of your rapid weight loss phase and how fast your hair grows naturally. Getting enough protein will help with this.
     "          

MeeMiss75
on 9/3/12 5:15 pm - Katy, TX
VSG on 06/12/12
Incidentally, I started taking biotin months before the surgery to strengthen my weak nails. I continued to take it after the surgery for the reasons you already mentioned. While I try to have 70-85 grams of protein daily, I'd rather overdo than under. My multivitamin also has biotin, but I take the 5000 mcg daily. Best of luck to us both!

Lisa S.
on 9/3/12 5:47 pm - NV
VSG on 07/09/12
I am also taking biotin. I started taking it last November. My hair and nails grow like weeds. I also am taking extra folic acid and zinc. I am paranoid about hair loss. Good luck to us!!!

stephintexas
on 9/3/12 6:50 pm
I lost over half of my hair and took Biotin daily, got my protein and lost VERY slowly. I think it's sometimes just a side effect of the surgery. Thankfully, it's slowed down lately. It' started around month 4 if I remember correctly and went on for about 4+ months. It still comes out just not in buckets anymore.

loverofcats
on 9/3/12 9:25 pm
 It is known as: Telogen Effluvium. Any supplements may help with regrowth, but will not stop the hair loss. The shock and trauma to the hair shaft occurs at the time of surgery.
     "          

Carmelita
on 9/4/12 6:53 am - Four Corners, NM
 Biotin is WORTHLESS until the regrowth stage ~6-7months post op.  THOUSANDS of us ole VSGrs...BTDT Itz!! ....It didn't work THEN...it won't work NOW! 

You get enough biotin from your diet and multi-vit and Bcomplex supplementin! 

From my  HAIR LOSS in VSG  blog  (maybe if ya have an hour or two...lmao! .check it out!)

an excerpt from Bariatric times...

Biotin  Many individuals believe that supplementing with, or topically applying, the nutrient biotin will either help to prevent hair loss or will improve hair regrowth. To date, there is no science that would support either of these presumptions. While biotin deficiency can cause dermatitis, hair loss is only known to occur in experimentally induced states in animal models or in extreme cases of prolonged diets composed exclusively of egg whites.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views