Split incision is making me all emo! Help?

Serenisis
on 8/24/12 9:03 pm - Coquitlam, BC, Canada
VSG on 08/13/12
  Okay, I need a kick in the pants people. This week has been a bit hard for me, emotionally. I'm definitely noticing the hormones creeping up on me, and for someone like me who has NEVER pms'd like any other female I know, it's pretty huge if I'm noticing my crankypants on. Anyway, I spent a couple hrs in the ER yesterday because one of my incisions (the big one) has split. For some reason, this is really upsetting me, even though I know it's a minor issue and I have so, so much to be grateful for. My staples were in for 10 days, they had to come out and my incision looked perfectly fine when it was being done. I haven't been doing any heavy lifting or bending, just some light leisurely walking and a little bit of driving without any irritation.  I think this was bound to happen...My sleeve has been wonderful so far, no problems, and I am happy for the most part! But I just despise the way I was treated at the hospital yesterday  when I went in (not the one I had surgery at). All they did was give me a glorified bandage and tell me I have to let it heal as is -- big and wide, gross and a bit deep. It's ick-city and probably will be for the next few days, and my main concern now should be keeping it infection-free. I know this is a stupid, superficial concern but I don't want a 2nd belly button when it's all healed up :( I didn't hear back from my surgeon's office until this morning and was surprised at how kind and helpful the receptionist was.  She's usually quite unpleasant and a bit difficult, but she's bumped up my appointment to see my surgeon so I get to go in on Monday now. She said there's probably nothing he can do now, but he'll want to see it...

I guess I'm just trying to be okay with what this will look like when it heals. I know it shouldn't matter and that I would have scars. I am so lucky to have had this surgery, I don't think for a second against it or have any regrets. I also know that plastics are an option and may help in the future. And I'm also grateful to Dr. S for using some of my old scars from my gallbladder surgery instead of giving me a bunch of new ones. It just has me stuck in this whiney, not-so-fun place right now. Any thoughts? Or good distractions while I'm in recovery-mode?  
             HW: 401 --- 1st Consult: 373 --- SW: 333, lost 68lbs total pre-op!!!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

punkinhead5
on 8/24/12 9:08 pm
VSG on 08/13/12
This, too, shall pass, my friend.

As far as distractions, I've been watching every single episode of Lost on Netflix. I highly recommend it! Then you can just imagine Dr. Jack helping you through this trying time of split incisions!
Siobhan
Punkinhead5

Serenisis
on 8/24/12 9:17 pm - Coquitlam, BC, Canada
VSG on 08/13/12
 LOL, thank you.  I've been watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer, haha... 

julyxo84
on 8/25/12 7:03 am - Pembroke Pines, FL
 ahh i love your avatar. Luka Kovac lol.
 [ Hi, I'm stefanie, I'm 28 years old and 5'3'' ]

acbbrown
on 8/24/12 9:09 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 I was super paranoid about my incisions too. Every time I noticed something weird (it was all weird - it was my first surgery ever lol) i would freak out. As it turned out, maybe bad karma for stressing too much, i got a little superficial infection and it took EIGHT friggen weeks for my two biggest incisions to completely close up. I dont know how you scar in general, but for the first 6 months my scars were UGLY but now they are completely invisible - I can't see them unless I look really hard. 

If I was out and about/at work, I covered my incisions with gauze and taped them up (i worked in a dirty place though) and then took them off at home so they could dry out. I did use bacatrin or whatever that anti-biotic stuff is like neosporin on them to keep them from getting infected. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Serenisis
on 8/24/12 9:26 pm - Coquitlam, BC, Canada
VSG on 08/13/12
 Wow, that doesn't sound so good...I guess in a way this is my "bad karma" too.  I was so, so prepared for this surgery that I planned for everything I possibly could.  7 years of waiting for surgery made me the most organized patient my surgeon had ever seen, he fast-tracked me through his program and everything.  Too much good too fast, maybe? In any case, I do underrstand that this isn't the end of the world, I just have to deal with a bit more ugly than I was hoping for...my scars don't heal so great -- I do get keloid ones on my abdomen and they're dark.  I'm pretty fair for a brown girl so they're obvious and I don't think they'll be fading much in the next few years...

I do have some good bandages to use for now, I need waterproof ones because it's too deep and icky to risk anything getting in right now.  Once it heals up some I'll keep it covered and use the good stuff to help.  I just need to be careful with the antibiotic stuff and probably won't use it unless my surgeon says to go ahead with it.  My sister is a pharmacist and she was adamant that I put nothing on it if it has that pain relief stuff in it in addition to the antibiotics -- apparently it's bad if it gets into my bloodstream and it can actually break down what's healing. 

Thank you for your input and sharing, I really  appreciate it-- I always read your posts on here and really admire how far you've come, it's such an inspiration :) 

cajunlady1958
on 8/25/12 12:50 am - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
My doctor told me to get some sterie strips and pull the incision together and apply the strips. They held the skin together until it healed.

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

duck1975
on 8/25/12 3:20 am - MI
VSG on 08/28/12
 Maybe you can go to a wound care facility and they can help you!   Good luck and I will be praying for you!

Heather D.
on 8/25/12 5:08 am - Austin, TX
I had a majorly infected incision that required packing twice a day for over a month. It was pretty gnarly at the time but now, almost 3 years later, it looks pretty much like the other incisions. It's a little darker and a little deeper, but barely noticeable.

Here's a (crappy) picture of three of my incisions. The one that was infected is on the right. Hope this helps put your mind at ease.

pineview01
on 8/25/12 2:27 pm - Davison, MI
My large one pulled open too.  It ozzed some too. 
Now you can't even see it.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 102 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 325 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 369 views