When did you start eating veggies again?

itzmetinab
on 8/17/12 11:05 am - WV
VSG on 07/16/12
 I'm eating soft foods now and doing really well.  I have a protein shake in the mornings, and two ounces of meat for lunch and dinner.  I then have a cheese stick for a snack in the evenings.

I miss vegetables terribly.  I'm following the advice to undereat my sleeve, so I keep my meals to 2 ounces.  When should I add veggies to that?  And when I do, do I add them to the 2 ounces or cut back the meat to add veggies?

Also, what about fruit?  Are there any fruits that are appropriate to eat during the weight loss phase?  My plan doesn't really address this.

Thanks!

Highest weight:  294  Surgery Weight:  281  Goal weight:  150
M1 - 20.6 M2 - 16.6 M3 - 17 M4 - 11 M5 -10.2

INgirl
on 8/17/12 11:24 am
Everyone is different, but for me- there just wasn't room in my stomach for more than a bite with my protein, and since protein was and is #1, I ate pretty much solid protein 95% of the time till goal. I only recently have I incorporated much more produce into my diet.. I have more room- went from about 1-1.5oz early out, to 2 oz dense protein capacity.. now I can eat 2-2.25 oz meat, and some veggies.. but mostly I eat them in separate "meals" as snacks.. I'd have a bite of green beans, or a bite of the end of an asparagus spear for I'd say at least the first 9mo or so.. and that was all I could do since the protein I had first left little room for anything else.

Fruits.. now, everyone has an opinion on this one too.. mine is, they are nature's sugar-bombs.. for the nutritional & fiber aspect vs volume, veggies win, hands down.. That said, I had a couple berries once in a very blue moon during weight loss.. and still- I very rarely have fruit. Once in a rare while will I have any, and still- usually berries- last night I had 1- 1" cube of pineapple.. that's about it. It's a treat, it's sugar.. and I treat it as such. If you have fruits, try to pick the lowest GI/GL fruits you can.. and for the most part- that's berries, fresh, never dried.

itzmetinab
on 8/17/12 11:42 am - WV
VSG on 07/16/12
 Thanks for sharing!  My nutritionist keeps mentioning "protein & produce", but I can't figure where to get that produce in!

acbbrown
on 8/17/12 11:26 am - Granada Hills, CA
What kind of veggies do you want to eat? I couldn't eat raw veggies until maybe 10-11 mo out because before then, it was just really uncomfortable. Now, I can eat some raw veggies, but broccoli and carrots dont feel very good in my stomach - however i usually sautee my veggies so they are a little softer and have no problems.

If you are willing to consume higher carbs/sugar, fruit is fine. Most people here probably don't eat fruit during WL because of carb counts, but depends on your overall calorie/carb goals, and whether you want to work them in. I'm on the far end of the liberal spectrum as far as calories/carbs go, and I don't eat a whole lot of fruit because it's just a lot of sugar. When I do eat fruit, it's usually before a long hike or workout - I do maybe 1/2 cup frozen berries in a shake or smoothie of some sort.

Id really love if bananas werent like 30g of sugar. I loooove bananas but i freak out when i enter it into MFP and see my sugar sky rocket past my daily limit from a single piece of fruit. And grapes.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

itzmetinab
on 8/17/12 11:44 am - WV
VSG on 07/16/12
 Any veggies would be good...green beans, asparagus, steamed broccoli...I've really been wanting cucumber slices!  I just can't figure where to fit them into my diet.  

I'm not missing fruits as much...and I'm not willing to go higher on my carbs.  I've set my limit at 30 and want to stay there.  I know what you mean about bananas.  They've always been one of my favorite treats!

Chenoa
on 8/17/12 11:29 am - Kingston, PA
VSG on 05/07/12
Well every Dr. plan is different. My Doctor wanted me to incorporate cooked very soft veggies about month and half out. Just about 2 days ago and I am about 3 and 1/2 months out I was cleared for some raw vegetables.

My plan states 2-3 oz meat and 1 tbsp veggies

HW 373 PreOp 338 Day of Surgery 321 1st 34lbs 287 2nd 8lbs 278 3rd 13lbs 265
4th 7lbs 258 5th 10lbs 248
6th 4lbs 244 7th 2lbs 242 8th 0lbs 242 9th 0 242

itzmetinab
on 8/17/12 11:46 am - WV
VSG on 07/16/12
 That's good to know!  My plan isn't really specific regarding this.  I gotta tell you, after eating all this meat (I've never been a big meat eater), even 1 tbsp of veggies sounds delicious!

rhearob
on 8/17/12 11:55 am - TN
 I had room for veggies at about 3 months out.  Even then small amounts.  It got progressively a little more.  Focus on eating protein slowly and then see what you can eat of the veggies.  DO NOT CUTBACK THE PROTEIN.  THAT IS THE NECESSITY.  There is a reason we have that rule.  You need the protein more than you need the veggies or fruit.  You need the dense protein for tissue repair, healing, and to prevent your body from tearing muscle down for it.

As for fruit, I didn't eat fruit until I was in maintenance.  There's simply not any protein in it for the calories you will spend.  

Why do fruits and veggies mean so much to you?  Are you eating for pleasure or for fuel?  Are you feeling deprived when you see others eating them?  

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

itzmetinab
on 8/17/12 12:02 pm - WV
VSG on 07/16/12
 Thanks Rob!!!  I've never been a big meat eater.  And fruit isn't a big deal to me...I just wondered if I was supposed to be eating it for the antioxidant benefits.  I do love vegetables so I guess I'd have to be honest and say they were for pleasure, not fuel.  I never thought I'd say that...lol!

Sounds like I should keep doing what I'm doing and stick with the meat & dairy items to keep my protein intake where it should be.

I love OH because the info is so much more "real" than what I'm getting from my NUT.  She frequently references produce when giving examples of what I should be eating during the soft stage.  CRAZY!

rhearob
on 8/17/12 12:15 pm - TN
 For me when I started eating veggies, it was when we were out to eat (The steamed veggies at Outback were AWESOME).  I would be finished with my chicken breast and not feel quite full.  I would try a bite of the snow peas and the carrots.  I slowly got to where I could have them regularly and then started making them at home.  When I make a meal at home I plan on 4 ounces of protein and 1/2 cup ea of two veggies.  

That said, I know I have a higher capacity than most.  Thats why its important that I plan and stick to that plan.  I follow Frisco's advice and undereat my sleeve.  I also plan something active right after I eat.  So tonight for example, I will eat at about 5 PM then go out an mow my lawn.  If its raining (as its threatening to) then I will go for an indoor walk somewhere.

I will have a quest bar for desert while I am out.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 394 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views