Stressed!

Barbara J.
on 8/12/12 3:36 pm - Cape Coral, FL
VSG on 07/09/12
Just needed to post today, really feeling down! I am now almost 5 weeks post-op and have quite a few things going on that is really stressful. I put my 90 year old mother in the hospital on July 31 and they released her on 8/8 from the hospital in my care and Hope Hospice. My mother's health is failing and it is everythng I can do to make sure she is well taken care of. Hope Hospice comes in very week and helps but most of the care is left up to me. I also have physical therapy 3 days a week on my left arm that I broke in January and had to wear a cast for 6 months. While I am out my partner is here for my mom, but cannot expect her to do what I do for my mother.

I have applied for FMLA from work because I needed to focus on her care. Besides caring for my mother I am finding the biggest problem I am having is taking care of myself. I know that I must try and get in 70 or more grams of protein and make sure I am drinking 64 or more oz of water as well. I started at 289 and now weight 258.   I have a pool and just got a baby monitor so that if my mother needs me I can hear her. I have tried working out in the pool 3 days a week but lately, just when I get time to head to the pool its starts raining.

I have not taken care of myself, cannot get enough water in per day let alone enough protein. Just do not know what to eat and really do not want anything.  I have a hard time in getting anything down. If I try a protein shake I may get about 3-4 oz down and then it starts tasting terrible.  I think all of this is related to stress because of my mothers failing health. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help me?

Karebare50
on 8/12/12 4:31 pm - Troy, NY
Wow, you have a lot on your plate, and that's an understatement!  So here, is my 2 cents, for what it's worth

1.  BREATHE!!!!!
2.  Sit down with your partner and discuss a schedule to outline your priorities and exercise.
3.  Come up with an alternative to the pool exercise in case of rain.  How about workout DVD's, like Zumba?
4.  When Hospice is there to care for your Mom, use that time to do something for yourself, or get errands and other things done, or spend a little down time with your partner to re-energize yourself.
5.  Check out some online recipes for high protein meals containing chicken, fish, pork or ground beef.  Look into a recipe book geared toward wlS patients.  I found a great one on Amazon.com.
6.  Take one day at a time and deal with whatever happens at that time - then try to get back on track with whatever you have set up for yourself.
7.  Surround yourself with a strong support network - do you have a church group, family or friends who might be willing to help you out for an hour or 2 a day so you can get things done?

I hope any of the above helps you and I wish you much success and happiness as you go through your WLS journey.  You MUST take care of yourself in this process as it is imperative for your success and well-being.  Use the support of your partner and those in your life to get you through the tough times and DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP!!!  GOOD LUCK and HUGS!
Karebare50 Dance Like Nobody's Watching!

HW pre-surgery: 248  SW: 236

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 392 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 423 views